XJ Hitch

• i bought a used class 3 hitch for my xj at the junkyard last week and i wanted to know how hard it is to install and what i need. I probably wont be doing this until i find out how much fire damage/engine/exhaust damage has been done to my jeep but i just wanted to get a head start on things.

thanks

• good find! I couldn't find any at the yards up here. :)

if it's specifically for an XJ (right?), it shouldn't be *too* hard to install... look under the rear at the gas tank, on either side of it will be the frame rails with some holes in them. the passenger side should have the exhaust hangar and gas tank heat shield hanging from it. on this side, just use some strong bolts 1/2" bolts (grade 8 for optimal strength, don't use anything weaker than grade 5) for this side.

on the drivers side, you'll need to either get a "nut strip" from a dealership, or use reinforcement strips (small pieces of 1/4" steel) and use a "fishwire" to get the reinforcement strips into position, then use the fishwire to pull in the bolts from the top-down, so you'll put the nuts up onto the bolts. I don't remember how much a nut strip costs, somewhere around $20-30, and you'll have to take off the bumper to put it in. but, I've got a fishwire and the reinforcement plates in my garage and can get them to you in you feel like driving into Cape Henlopen on Saturday. :)

you'll want to use PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench and start spraying all the areas you need to work on for a couple days before you plan on installing it.

if you can figure out what make/model hitch you got, you can probably find the original installation instructions online, but it's pretty much what I just told you.

the hardest part will be holding up the hitch while you try to get the first couple bolts in. (well, and getting the reinforcement plates in will be a pain, but I can show you how to do that)

tools needed will be lubrication/derusting sprays, socket wrench and sockets, and a lead pipe/breaker bar. one of the bolts I had to remove (post 1996 changes) were so rusted I jumped the gears in my craftsman 1/2"-drive socket wrench with the extra torque from me pulling on a lead pipe. :D

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• looking around, I might even have enough bolts and nuts for you to use. how many bolts will you need per side? either 3 or 4 per side, I should have enough for 4 per side.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• its been a while but i put one on the 96 xj i used to have... it wasnt too hard... you might need to contact the manufacture to get the wire thingys that hold the nuts in place up where your hands cant get to them...
    if you want a hand let me know...

• Quote from "blueyedevil"

the wire thingys that hold the nuts in place up where your hands cant get to them...

that's the fishwire, I've got it in my garage with the bolts left over from my hitch install in December :) I'll give everything to AJ if he can find me at the beach :)

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!