Posts by Tonka

Ive got a full set but one has paint damage wich I made worse by trying to repaint it myself. You would have to get it painted or sand and spray yourself. If your intersted shoot me an offer. Im also open to trades depending on what you have.

So I finally have an extra set of wheels to make into beadlocks. I have a freind in VA that has a cnc and cuts rings and makes kits. His shop is Called Black Water Fab. Im going to be going down their at some point (probably not untill after christmas) with my wheels to have him weld mine up. If anyone is interested in a kit let me know. He charges around $220 for the rings, but depending on the design they can be more expensive. He can also weld them up for an additional $100 and get the hardware needed for another $75ish. Below is the info he posted on our VA club site. If your interested just give me a number I can text pictures to. Im not good with the whole photobucket thing.
    Your Custom Design, or pick from a few of my designs.
    1/4" inner and outer ring sets for 15", 16", 16.5", or 17" steel wheel
    30 bolt, 32 bolt or 36 bolt available.
    These kits are for steel wheels which can usually be found fairly cheaply. This would be something great for a weekend wheeler that has a set of trail tires and a set of street tires. I have run the DIY beadlocks on the highway using the BB balancing method and they run great. If you are going trail riding for the weekend, you can bolt these on and head to the trail and not worry about bending up a wheel, or losing a bead. They protect your valvestems, and allow air pressures sub 10 psi which greatly increases traction on the rocks! The inner rings will be multi-piece mild plate, which is easily weldable.

I finally narrowed down my sloppy steering to a bad steering gear box. Id been ruling it out originally since I just put in the durango box about 8 months ago. Anyway, I ordered one from az last night but Ill be able to warrenty swap it so at least itll be free.

I got em for $850. The guy wouldent budge on price but I still saved probably $400 on what they would have cost brand new.
    Ive also got my take offs with 1/4 tread if anybody is interested. Id like to sell the tires (cheap) and turn the rims into beadlocks so I can get some trail tires and run a different set for trail and street.

I had an issue like this a few years ago, my noise was a chirp like a bad bearing. I replaced all the pulleys and then tried belt dressing. The belt dressing ruined my belt and made a complete mess. The chirping stopped untill the dressing dried and then came back. (I hate belt dressing, its nasty stuff and makes a mess of your engine compartment) I ended up getting a gator belt and Ive never heard a sound since. Occasionally if its wet it will chirp when first started but a few seconds and it goes away. Not saying thatds what it is but for $20 its worth a shot, plus then you can keep your old belt as a trail spare.

I ordered a 2014 JKU Sport for my wife last night. I hadent even thought about the gearing untill this morning. I own a TJ and 3.21's sound horrible to me but I understand that its a much different platform so I need opinions. This will most likely stay stock as my wife will be driving it and if it ever goes offroad the extent will be the beach and dirt roads to camp, no crawling or mud. It has the stock 17's with the 255/75/17's, would upgrade to 33's at most. We do go to Vermont a few times a year and an occasional trip to georgia so we deal with some mountain roads but also alot of highway miles. I want this rig to get better mpg but I also dont want it to be a complete dog because of it. The jeep is on order and will take 6-8 weeks so Im assuming if I call today I could still get this change made and I dont believe there is a cost involved. What do you guys get for mileage (or did when it was stockish) how was the driving experience with either one? Im on the fence.

Death wobble SUCKS! I dealt with it a few months back for awhile, it went away and now Im getting it again occasionally. Ive narrowed mine down to needing new tires and either a worn out steering box (wich shouldent be because I swapped in a durango box a year ago) or worn links in the steering column/shaft. unbalanced tires and bent rims can trigger it but the issue is generally somthing worked itself loose, especially if it happened without an upgrade/mod or a wheeling trip involved to break somthing.
    Good luck with it!

Ive got an Aussie front and a Spartan rear. I put the Aussie in first untill the stock lsd wore out. With the Aussie front, there really wasent a noticable difference when driving aside from all of the clicking when turning. When I put the spartan in the rear I definiatly noticed a difference. I dont mind it because although my jeep is my dd I built it to wheel so the more built it gets the worse its road manners tend to be and Im ok with that. If I were to do it again though I would have put the front aussie in and then waited untill I could afford a rear selectable. I would say front for that reason. Have you checked to see if your 44 has the select track lsd? I think alot of them do. You can take it apart and pack the crap out of it and it will act like a locker for awhile.

I was admiring your Jeep by the way. Looks awesome. I asked a few people at my table whose Jeep it was until we saw you driving away in it. Thanks for coming out. Great seeing you!

Thanks! I was happy to see an awesome picture of it posted on the instagram site :up:

I think it's an awesome idea and I'd be happy to help with trail building if it gets going. I was part of a club in Charlottesville va called rcpfa. They had there own piece of land that they recently lost. It was about that size and it was awesome, granted it was in the va mountains but if you design the trails right and the obstacles are tough you can fit a lot in that amount of space.They lost it because part of the land was a creek so the pollution of running water issue got them shut down. They have since acquired new land though and are clearing trails. I know they have a lawyer to make sure everything is legit, I would recommend doing the same. If you want to speak with one of the board members for advise let me know. Different state but similar issues to deal with.

It was nice meeting you guys. The girls and I had fun and my daughter loved all your jeeps. I'm looking forward to wheeling with you guys. :up: o and my 2 year old was clapping and yelling boobies to your b day dance. Hilarious!