Posts by YJ_Will

hi I have to comment on this subject.
    As some of the older members might remember I had both a CB and a mobile FRS/GMRS radio in my Jeep. Well now I have upgraded to add a 2m and HF ham in the Jeep.I did get my HAM ticket KN4JQU and it was not hard at all. Watch using a repeated I have land in TN and there is a off road park for quads near there and the owner of the repeated turned them into the DVD there was 87 people fined. The fined started at $2,500 per transmission it is legal to land any radio transmitting is the problem My first Ham was A Baofeng I have programmed it for FRS/GMRS, 2m, 70cm, and marine.

Could you explain this a little better for someone that doesn't know all the acronyms?

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

I won’t officially say in but I’ll try. I need to replace my steering box and the new one arrived last night.

I’ll try and get it done but stuff has come up at home. If I can make a ride it would be the 21st.

As stated don’t mind me and do whatever works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys use them consistently?

I’ve been on the last 3 trail rides and we were using cbs because not everyone had a radio.

The handhelds only came up on one ride.

I’m not opposed to buying one but want to use it. Obviously I haven’t been going on rides consistently but would like to in 2020.

I had a good ride yesterday. I hope my selection of trails was ok for the green and blue group. I had a few issues trying to navigate with my cell phone falling to the floor constantly.

Sorry for having to cut the ride off early due to my steering box going out. I ordered a new one last night so hopefully the Jeep will be ready for next months ride. Unfortunately the spare box that was given to me with the Jeep is not an ideal replacement.

I'll be there. I just put my top on the Jeep for the first time in 2 years and it was a pain. I now see the rain they had in the forecast earlier in the week has pushed off until the evening so we probably won't run into it.

I'm driving a silver crew crab Ram 2500 with a YJ on a trailer and driving up in the morning.

I assume we are still on for the 23rd?
    I plan on picking up my car trailer Thursday evening if that is the case.

I now have the 30th available too. If there is an easy ride going on the 30th I will join it to break in my dog to riding on trails.

I would prefer the 23rd but don't worry about me.

Isn't the Saturday after Thanksgiving one of the worst travel days of the year? I know I'm generally on my way back from North Carolina that day and traffic sucks.

Edit
    I was informed that I will be traveling home on the Saturday after thanksgiving therefore it’s the 23rd or nothing for me.

I’m probably going to pick up a new set of tires over the winter. I currently have 35” tires and 15*10 steel wheels.

Would you guys get a different size rim like shrinking the width to 8” or upping the rim size to 16”.

If I do wind up getting new/different size rims I’ll just get the cheap steel ones again. My Jeep doesn’t warrant fancy wheels and I also wouldn’t want to scratch the hell out of an expensive set of rims.

I just wanted to tell people about the great service I got from Rubicon Express. I contacted them about some uneven spring sag I'm getting on my YJ.

The springs were there from the previous owner and I had no proof of purchase. I called them and they told me to send them pictures so I sent them some pics of a tape measure side to side on my front and rear bumpers showing the sag favoring the passenger side. I assume this is from drive shaft torque. I also sent them a picture of the only sticker with the part number still on the spring.

I got an email today with an order number for a new set of springs on their way. They didn't even reach out for me to cover the shipping cost and I assume even that's a fair amount for the weight of leaf spring packs.

I just got done chucking a new relay in my winch and a $17 wireless control from Amazon.

This is a pic with the old relay but the little box in the corner is the wireless receiver. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for most if not all winches out there.

I’m a little disappointed that the reverse contacts on the relay went bad. I’ve only used the winch a couple times so there no reason for the contacts to stop working. At least I found it in testing the wireless controller and not when I actually needed the winch.

I know you swapped the last event to AOAA because a group ride causing traffic at Rausch Creek but there appears to be another event there on the 19th.

I saw an event listed on Facebook called Krawling for K9s and if you believe the people listed as "going" on Facebook there are 391 people going.

:hmm: Wondering if taking them off road is the best idea if one gets car sick. Tends to be a lot of bouncing and jostling on the trails. Do you have good seat belt restraints for them?

She gets sick being closed up in the truck but not in the open air. I take her on the boat and she has no issues with bouncing, it's the car ride in the back seat to the ramp she has issues with. She has been in the jeep and it's no where near the issue as it is in the truck.

As I said if there is a green group I may go. Definitely not Blue and Black.

Don’t add me to the list but if you have a green group going I’ll probably tag along.

Unfortunately I will have to take my dogs with me so I don’t want to be bouncing around majorly and have them upset or ejected. They’ve never been before and one of them is still a car sick puppy.

I had a ball guys. I’ll try to make more trail rides in the future. I’ll try to be more motivated in the future to keep my Jeep on the road to make it happen.

I was watching a video on YouTube about AOAA and they mentioned an app called Maprika that has all the trails mapped out.

They also mentioned they are building what will wind up being the biggest man made obstacle course in the country as part of a mining reclamation project. It’s slated to take 2 years to complete.

You guys mind if I tag along?

The Jeep is running but I pulled the winch off and won’t have it fixed and installed for Saturday. I will have my front tow hooks back on though.