Posts by Quantum73

Ditto to you quantum

Let me break what I said and respond. I can prove my point, and did. So can Bonkers. So can others on this site. You cannot dispute my/our experience(s), what I was told by DMV to start with, what I was told by SP, and how DMV failed to stand behind what they initially said. So as smart as you think you are, which is apparently quite smart, and also quite wrong, please continue on citing your generic web references and Google look-ups rather than actual firsthand knowledge or experience. "I saw it on the Internet so it must be true!" Sound familiar? Like so many others like you and before, press on valiant Internet Warrior, press on!

In the end however, mission accomplished. Anyone considering buying a trailer without a VIN and/or Title will be well informed as to the risk they are taking. I know how pissed I was when it appeared I had +$2000 into a trailer that couldn't be tagged. I only hope I can save someone else that experience. If possible, always always always go for the deal where the trailer has a valid Title and VIN already as regardless of the outcome, you will save yourself much aggravation and work. :up:

UMM that was Scott Clapper from DELAWARE DMV not New Jersey.

Get it in writing from Mr. Clapper, in an official capacity on DELDOT letterhead, WITH State Police concurrence, or it didn't happen.

I also had verbal "guarantees" from various individuals that should have known what they were talking about. In the end, it didn't matter, because I didn't have any binding information. The trailer passed DELDOT inspection with no issues. I won't elaborate but the State Police refused to process it. DELDOT followed-up with a "tough luck". So feel free to continue with your claims but the fact remains, titling a trainer of this type in DE is by no means guaranteed even with a valid out of state Registration and Bill of Sale. I for one would never take the risk again with a $1,500 purchase, nor would I sit by and let DEJA folks make purchasing decisions based on bad information. Whether they end up using the information one way or another is not my issue. If someone wishes to put their faith in a verbal statement of unknown origin then they are free to do so.

Just let the man list his trailer if you don't want it don't buy it. If anyone wants advice then let THEM ask.

As far as I know, in the past seven years I was a club member, DEJA does not condone someone either intentionally, or unintentionally misrepresenting what they are selling. My and other posts simply work to determine and clarify what is actually being sold. And what is being sold is NOT a trailer that is easy (or even possible) to title in DE, contrary to what was said in the sale thread.

I am sure he will have no problem selling it on CL, but last I checked, DEJA folks take care of each other. This forum isn't CL.

I just spotted this thread and wanted to reiterate to anyone intending to title/register a military trailer in Delaware. Without a VIN, it isn't going to happen. My trailer was registered (not titled) in NY, and DE DMV said "No problem, bring it in for inspection and we will issue a VIN and title." Everything I was told at DMV was garbage. I could go on forever but eventually I got a legitimate VIN issued for mine. The reality is that most people will not be able to make that happen. If you have the paperwork from the military, showing the sale of the trailer to the private sector, AND the trailer has some unique and permanent number stamped on it, you MIGHT be able to get the State Police to process it, and in turn get a title.

I did have A Maine registration/tags for a couple years, but DE has clamped down on that so I definitely would not recommend going that route. I am not sure if that is even still possible as I heard Maine only does this for commercial trailers now, not sure what that definition is though.

I apologize if this is a tad off topic, and I don't want to derail your sale, but everyone needs to understand the full ramifications of titling a trailer like this in DE.

I've never heard anyone say those worked well. At least not with the '03+ mirrors.

Well, to each their own I figure. I only ran them for literally thousands of highway miles and never had an issue with visibility, or opening the doors... ::)

The Bestop tire carrier seems to work well. It's a tub-mounted system that opens and closes with your tailgate so no need to open anything separately. That leaves you free to pick a bumper design without having to preclude the brands/styles that don't have tire carrier options. Keith_c has one on his TJ so maybe he can chime in.

I had one on the Rubi and it was one of the best purchases I made. I would definitely recommend it for the flexibility it gives in choosing a rear bumper. I like that it also relocates the 3rd brake light. Only issue I had was once I went to a super heavy 37" tire/wheel combo it really wasn't rated for that, although it probably would have been fine.

Also, I had great luck with Rokmen products. Absolutely top quality and they often run specials to include discounted shipping. Very willing to chat and work with you as well.

Realizing you probably want the rear hitch for cargo, just be very careful on your expectations. Towing from a bumper hitch is sketchy at best and the bumper and frame attachment need to be VERY stout to even think about towing with it. Just my 2 cents on that one but I did a lot of towing with mine.

You can likely filter any debris out simply enough but no matter what you do, unless you use a coalescing filter, there will be some water in that oil. Does it matter? Your call, your motor. IMHO, probably won't make a bit of difference compared to what can condense in a "normal" motor. Ever see the white foam on the inside your valve cover cap? There you go...

I have had similar happen and ended up just tossing the liquid gold, and chalked it up to a learning experience. FWIW, it was Amsoil 95W140 gear oil which is going to be much more resilient to whatever gets in it...

But again, there are several variables here and while some folks accept different levels of risk, in the end it is your motor.