Remote start....

• This has been discussed here.... http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=14234.0

BUT! I want to discuss it a little more in a fresh thread and see if anyone else has bought one for their Jeep.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy one with an alarm, and put the sensors on the inside for when I have the top off and doors off. Just for added security and attention getting.

Anyone reccomend one? Or a shop? Was thinking the Audio place next to Stewarts in Bear.

• i have a friend that has one on his rubicon 5 speed, works great. i want to do it on mine soon. he got his done at audio works i think...

• I'd recommend Auto Truck Outfitters on Rt 202 near Rt 1. (chadds ford area) I'm having one installed on my new work van next tuesday. The van already has an alarm so they are just tying into that one. Prices are very reasonable and the customer service after the sale is awesome. I've purchased multiple items from them in the past so when I bought the new van and wanted the alarm set up differently then the way it came, I took it too them and John came right out into the parking lot and saw what I had (not a brand they sell) went inside and looked up the particulars on it and then came back out and reprogrammed it for me for FREE. :up: Now that's customer service. I'm having a class 3 hitch installed with controller, all windows tinted (back ones limo tinted) remote starter, new radio with sirius, and new GPS unit installed for $880.

I priced it out other places and was easily over $1000 for the exact same products.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I've had a remote start on two of my trucks. Both were installed by Audio Works in Newark. On my Civic I had a VIPER alarm with motion sensors also installed by Audio Works and that worked great. If someone walked right along side of the car and waved there hand near the window it would chirp.

Three Recommendations:
    One thing I would recommend is that you go with a "two-way" unit. The alarm will notify the remote when the engine is started. This eliminates the guess work and allows you to start your car if you are not in line of sight.
    Two that you ensure that the antenna is up near the rear view mirror this will make for good reception.
    Three make sure that they put the LED somewhere very visible. On both of my Dodge's I had the LED in the center of the dash up close to the windshield. This illuminated the entire windshield when the truck was locked.

One final note not all shops will install remote starts into 5-speeds. This is because in order to make it work they have to bypass the factory sensor that won't let you start the engine without the clutch depressed. I'm not sure if that is illegal or not but if you leave your Jeep in gear and try to start it you'll have one helluva mess.

• One final note not all shops will install remote starts into 5-speeds. This is because in order to make it work they have to bypass the factory sensor that won't let you start the engine without the clutch depressed. I'm not sure if that is illegal or not but if you leave your Jeep in gear and try to start it you'll have one helluva mess.

the system has a fail safe built in, you need to pull the e-brake, go to neutral, take the key out and get out, when you shut the door they jeep turns off. therefore the next time the computer knows it can start because its in neutral, also all they do is put a fuse in your auto trans spot like i did and you can start without the clutch.

• Fortunately I have an auto (and unfortunately)....

I've always heard Viper had good alarms. I'll give the Audio SCAM and Audio Works a ring tomorrow.

use audio works

• my buddy has a 03 tj and his father works for best buy... he got the 500.00 two way alarm with all censors and such... he hates it... the censors dont react well to cold... wither they dont go off at all or go off when he is sleeping... his kit has remote start but bestbuy will not install it on a 5speed... against policy..i guess... but he spent a boat load of cash so no one would steal his stock yellow jeep... lol i know cars get stolen... but all that is a little out of control... all he needs is a cut off to stop it from being stolen and a motin censor....

my buddy has a bulldog on is civic with remote start... works well... not long range at all... dosent pop trunk... all it does is unlock doors, remote start, and engine kill thing..

• use audio works

never thought id say this...but i agree with Meeper :idiot: :idiot: its been 6 years since i worked at audio jam...but i wouldnt let them change the spark plug in my push mower. the guys at audio works actually know a good bit about installing. i have talked to them on several topics, including alarm and remote start installation procedures and they would be who i went to if i wasnt able to do one myself.

• well thats good to know, I talked to the guys at audio jam, and they kept telling me my keep was a chip key. I told them it wasn't then another guy said it wasnt either.

So, I'll talk to audio works. They have a place down here in Middletown.

• Ive been getting my work done by Trucks Unlimited in Middletown recently... Very pleased with his work...
    I saw a sign up in the office today for Viper alarms and car starters... He does nice work...

I always prefer the locally owned and operated non-chain shops myself...

Checkem out.... Handy if you are local...
    http://www.trucksunlmitedde.com

you know, i forgot about him. My buddy got some good deals on parts from him, I'll have to go down and take a gander.

Thanks man!

• Ive been getting my work done by Trucks Unlimited in Middletown recently... Very pleased with his work...
    I saw a sign up in the office today for Viper alarms and car starters... He does nice work...

I always prefer the locally owned and operated non-chain shops myself...

Checkem out.... Handy if you are local...
    http://www.trucksunlmitedde.com

when i was working as a installer, viper and all DEI products were very good. DEI has some intensive training that the installers have to go through to even cary the line. Sidewinder was the "entry level", python was availible to shops who had installers that are MECP certified, and VIPER you had to attend the DEI training to even carry the line. not sure if that is still true now, but if trucks unlimited carry Viper, id give them a shot too.

• never thought id say this...but i agree with Meeper :idiot: :idiot: its been 6 years since i worked at audio jam...but i wouldnt let them change the spark plug in my push mower. the guys at audio works actually know a good bit about installing. i have talked to them on several topics, including alarm and remote start installation procedures and they would be who i went to if i wasnt able to do one myself.

ahhh.....

• well thats good to know, I talked to the guys at audio jam, and they kept telling me my keep was a chip key. I told them it wasn't then another guy said it wasnt either.

So, I'll talk to audio works. They have a place down here in Middletown.

what color is your key?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!