Oh Sht Death Wobble on Bridge ?

• Hello All,

on the Yj I put on some more agressive tires.

Here it is: 33" TSL RADIAL, Golf ball ballanced, tires cupped a little, Stock damper.

is cupping a issue?
    Should i beef up steering stablizer?
    Lower tire pressue?
    :shrug:
    The wobble was not pretty on the Conowingo Dam :help: :driving:
    Mutt

• could be the tires... but also check the alignment and rod ends on the tie rod and trackbars. Steering stabilizer only masks problems, theoretically you should be able to drive without a stabilizer and not know it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• id say D. all teh above lol

sounds like the whole combo u have going on may be a cause. why golf balls? lol ive never heard that one. why not just use beads or airsoft bb's? what psi are u running? and no damper wont fix the prob. well atleast i dont imagine

• could be the tires... but also check the alignment and rod ends on the tie rod and trackbars. Steering stabilizer only masks problems, theoretically you should be able to drive without a stabilizer and not know it.
    :

Allighnment ok,ball joint could need replaced Note: I had all terrains and did not have a issue

• id say D. all teh above lol

sounds like the whole combo u have going on may be a cause. why golf balls? lol ive never heard that one. why not just use beads or airsoft bb's? what psi are u running? and no damper wont fix the prob. well atleast i dont imagine

30 PSI
    GOLF BALLS SAME PHYSICS,K-MART HAD A SALE

• 30 PSI
    GOLF BALLS SAME PHYSICS,K-MART HAD A SALE

Actually not the same physics.... :doh:

Conowingo dam is already scary without death wobble..Narrow lanes on the west side and the cluster jam on the east side.

Golf ball balancing sounds like a REALLY bad idea, because when the impact each other they shoot off where as sand, airsoft bb, Magnum tire pellets just absorb the impact. They also add a fair amount of weight per ball. They do not disperse force evenly but rather, put large point loads on your tire.

Here is a video for you. ::)

http://www.magnumbalance.com/How%20Magnum%20Works.htm

Seriously, they are 33" radials, why the hell cant you just use wheel weights like 96% of the rest of us. My 33" boggers were balanced perfectly with no weights just by moving the tire around he rim until it balanced out.

but what do I know..

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

Edited once, last by ruquik ().

• I agree on all accounts, any shot of putting the all terrains back on?
    I am running 37's on my truck with no weights and no problems. Just a good tire.
    Ran equal before, that was okay but has its problems. Did not really care for the airsoft, but looking back I think it was the tire not the bb's.
    If you don't have a tire with good enough rubber not to require weights then I feel wheel weights are the way to go.

• um golf balls are for playing golf.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Golf balls were the pre-airsoft trick for large mud tires (talking redneck big block trucks), they don't work as well for the smaller tires we use on Jeeps, though. Mainly because they can't distribute the weight as well. Interco tires are ridiculously hard to balance, wheel weights cannot balance most of their tires without stacking multiple weights, especially if you go offroad a lot and the tread starts getting torn off.

anyhow... it's reasonable that any problems with the alignment and rod ends would show up by switching from more polite tires to aggressive mud tires. The extra stress makes old problems more apparent. If you can, have somebody rock the steering wheel lock-lock and watch the tire relationship to the tie rod, trackbar and axle. I've seen a bunch of Jeeps with wornout trackbars. Badly worn hubs and balljoints will be visible here, too.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• My Iroks were balanced with legit wheel weights but they took a TON of weights to do. I find 20-25 psi makes for a nice ride in them. Their lifespan is terrible to begin with, so what the hell. Generic all terrain truck tires next time for me and a set of Krawlers for the trail

• Thanks All,

Take balls out,Spin balance,lower tire pressure

:up: :up:

They lower pressure should also helped them wear more evenly...

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Golf balls were the pre-airsoft trick for large mud tires (talking redneck big block trucks), they don't work as well for the smaller tires we use on Jeeps, though. Mainly because they can't distribute the weight as well. Interco tires are ridiculously hard to balance, wheel weights cannot balance most of their tires without stacking multiple weights, especially if you go offroad a lot and the tread starts getting torn off.

anyhow... it's reasonable that any problems with the alignment and rod ends would show up by switching from more polite tires to aggressive mud tires. The extra stress makes old problems more apparent. If you can, have somebody rock the steering wheel lock-lock and watch the tire relationship to the tie rod, trackbar and axle. I've seen a bunch of Jeeps with wornout trackbars. Badly worn hubs and balljoints will be visible here, too.

GOLF BALLS OUT, SPIN BALLANCE IN :up: FIXED.
    i GUESS THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 33" AND MY OLD 38'S ;D
    yee haa Thanks :beer:

• Sweet! Glad you found the problem.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!