'Light the Night' volunteers needed (UPDATE!)

• This event is important to DeJA for 2 reasons. The first, it's a good fund-raiser for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Secondly, we are going to have a team there to walk, and also to spread the word about our Jeeps for Joy Memorial Toy Run. Here's the info:

Event details:
    Date: September 24, 2004 - Friday

Registration Time: 5:00 pm
    Walk Time: 7:00 pm
    End Time: 9:00 pm

Event Description:
    The Light The Night® Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's nationwide evening walk. Walkers carry illuminated balloons to celebrate and commemorate the lives touched by cancer. Funds raised will support our mission to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and to improve the quality of life of patients and their families.

Against a twilight sky, a parade of flickering red and white balloons winds through communities, creating a breathtaking sight and a spirit of camaraderie among all who carry them.

Participants in Light The Night walks raise funds in support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's mission. Walkers raising $100 or more will receive an official T-shirt and illuminated balloon. All registered fundraising participants will receive a special illuminated balloon. Cancer survivors carry illuminated white balloons.

Dedication banners designed to celebrate and commemorate those touched by cancer give participants a chance to personalize their efforts and honor friends and loved ones. T-shirts and other Light The Night rewards are provided to recognize participant fundraising. Learn more about the Walk incentives. A post-walk celebration includes refreshments, music and family festivities.

Your participation will help save lives. Please join us in our fight against blood cancers, as we Light The Night with hope and raise funds to find a cure. Anyone can participate. Children, adults, and seniors are all welcome. This is a casual walk with no fitness requirements.

For more information about the Light The Night Walk events in your area or to find out how you can join us and help accelerate cures, contact us or call your local chapter of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society®.

How DeJA is involved
    First of all, the event this year is being held on the grounds of the Childrens Hospital that we raise donations for during our Toy Run. We are going to put together a team of people to walk AND man our booth there (more on that in a minute...) You can register online at : http://register.lightthenight.org/LTNRegister/register.jsp (pick Delaware, then the duPont location, and fill in the form. For company/organization, put Delaware Jeep Association) Please Note: it is a minimum $25 donation to walk! Each individual volunteer is responsible for this cost. Checks will be made to Light the Night, but give your check to Bob or Paul, as they will be turned in as a TEAM donation. You can also get family, friends, neighbors or coworkers to sponsor you for an amount to raise your total donation. We will combine our individual total donations into ONE large team donation for our group.

We are going to set up a canopy, and put up one of Toy Run banners, a shirt for this years event, and some pictures of past Toy Runs to help spread the word about our event. There will be informational flyers for us to hand out as well. This is an excellent chance for additional coverage of our event. Volunteers who sign up to do the walk will help man this booth, and talk about our event with people and hand out flyers. Attendance at a previous Toy Run is not necessary. In addition, the first 15 people who sign up on the calendar for this event will get a special 2004 Toy Run shirt to designate our team, which will have the Light the Night logo on the back. This is a great opportunity to get more the of public aware of our Toy Run, and increase our participation and donations. Please, we realize there is a cost involved, but if you can spare $25 to help this cause by walking, it will also benefit the Toy Run and children at the hospital later on.

We need only serious sign ups for this. We have to know that you can be counted on to be there for the walk, last minute drop outs would really hurt us, please only sign up if you are sure you can make it! BE SURE TO SIGN UP ON THE CALENDAR!

For any additional information, please sent a PM to either Bob Allen (hurrcane), or Paul McCullough (wanderlust).

Also, more information can be found on the Light the Night website.

NOW YOU CAN HELP! even if you can't make it to the walk. Please visit the DeJA's Light the Night webpage to make a contribution by credit card for this event. All money donated from this page will be included in our "team" donation. MC, Visa and AmEx accepted in any amount. Please help us raise donations for this!

2011 GWNF Jiffy-Pop Campfire Champion!

Edited once, last by ().

• Put myself and my wife(Barbara) on the list. Great idea Paul, for the T-shirts.

• I would love to make it but I will be in Rochester that week.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• My wife and I and the two kids will be there also. We will help out any way possible. My sister in-law has lupus and we have worked other fundraisers before. Let us know if you need anything else.
    Brian

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Bob is awaiting more information on registering for this event. As one of you pointed out in a PM, DeJA is not a selection as a team currently, but Bob told me that he did register our team, it's just a matter of them getting it on the site. So please try again in a few days, and let me or Bob know if it's up.

Your checks for $25 per person will be made out to "Light the Night", but don't send them in. Bring them to the walk, and they will all be turned in together as our team donation. Remember, you can ask family and friends to sponsor you as well, to increase our team donation.

Also, this IS on the calendar, please sign up there if you are going to volunteer to help out with this walk, and also help spread the word on our Toy Run while we're at this event.

We have a few interested, that's great! Thanks. We need more though, we'd like to have a team of at least 15 show up. Please come help us, and the Leukemia Society.

:up:

• I ahve talke dto my 1st sargent about this and have gotten permission to spead the word on base. anyone who is on base that is going to partici[ate in this please contact me. I have a few ideas on how I want to distribute the email and get the base participating. if you would like to be included in the email that would be great let me know I would like to get something out by the end of the week so we can get the ball rolling

• Please note the updated top post, now with information on contributing online at the DeJA Night the Light webpage if you can't attend this event.

thanks
    Paul

• Just read article in today's News Journal, 23 September, page B-3, top article concerning Light The Night Walk. Article says Registration is at 6 p.m. and the Walk starts at 7:30 p.m.! Paul - can you check it out or do you just want our team there early?

• Walt,
    Everyone did not sign up on the calender, but I do have a total of 12 people that have donated and 10 of them are coming to the walk. The actual time for the walk is from 5 till 9. The first two hours are for registration. As far as I know, anyone that has donated online if already registered. I am not sure if we will have to fill any thing out once we get there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!