TJ running rough...

• and it could be the cat itself

i would also recomend checking the cat... the only way i know without taking the entire exaust out is to get under and tap with either a rubber mallet or the palm of your hand.. listen closely for anything rattling around.. my YJ (i know a different beast entirely) had hesitation issues and finally would not drive down the road at all.. but ran fine at idle.. it was the cat...
    good luck and keep us posted
    btw how many miles are on it now?

• you take that back half of the exhaust off in about 10 minutes. i just put a cat back on mine. it took longer to take the tools to the jeep. i think all together 20 minutes if that.

• throw the bosch plugs away - they are great in some vehicles but run like crap in your jeep. get champion 4412 truck plugs and your engine will be happy. autozone can read your codes for you as well if tony is too busy this week - they will do it for free in hopes that you'll buy parts from them afterwards...but not required. oh, and if it is an O2 sensor, i have the special tool(s) for swapping them out.
    chris

• teh autozone tool is the same actron that i have. i also have access to a handheld that will pull every code that the dealership can pull I am supposed to be getting it tonight so i will have it till saturday or sunday probably

• Okay, okay...new Champion 4412's and a little bottle of Lucas...TJ runs great again (and still have a 1/4 tank of the old gas). The gap on the old plugs was as big as .055"(!), and the bling plugs (Bosch +4s) were getting black already.

NO MORE BLING PLUGS!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

• 0.055" Gap? Isn't that excessive?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• You should really gap your plugs before you install them anyway.
    Usually the auto parts store sells the gapping tools for like $1

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• These almost looked like the original plugs...

The new plugs, supposedly pre-gapped at .035" were all over the place too. I'd recommend checking every plug you install.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!