Aussie Lunchbox Locker Install - Saturday

• Make sure you pay close attention Matt, I will be ordering my Lockrite for the front and my Powertrax no slip for the 8.8 VERY soon (hint, hint will need help with my install too!). On a side note my axles are not under the Jeep so it would be really easy to sit them on jackstands and everyone could gather around get a real good look at a lunchbox locker install (kind of like a 101, seems like a lot of people are interested in going this route). It would be two fold, I could get a hand with the install and a willing volunteer could pass their knowledge on to a bunch of people at once. Just an idea............... ;D

• I'm picking up what you're putting down buddy! If I'm free, and it's not a 4 hour drive, I'll be there.

I've seen 1/2 of the installation on Steve's Jeep so have a general idea. Hopefully this will clear up any questions or grey areas. 4x4xplor.com has a great write up step by step on how to install this very locker so you may want to check that out as well.

• Hey Matt I am a very generic glazed donut kind of guy and do not drink coffee lol But I will be sure to take many pictures of each part so that we can make a write-up on here or something of the sort. Did you order a new cross pin? It is only needed if yours is what they call "soft". If we can scratch it with a pair of pliers then you may want to get one... Just a thought...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• From what I've heard, the crosspin is only a concern when putting it into a Dana 35.

From my post on BMJA...

Had my Aussie for two years now... I actually went through the same thing your doing. So I emailed both Torque Masters (Aussie) and Richmond Gear (LocRite) and this is the response I got from Bill Cole, the president of Torque Masters, and one of the engineers behind both the Aussie, and the LocRite.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill Cole
    Thank you for considering our product Pat.

As to the differences between the Aussie and the LR, well there at 22 differences in design, manufacturing and quality processes. Like the LR we have patents pending to cover some of our designs as they are unique. The LR patents are on the dual spring and windows they require to meet the reliability needed. We believe that a well designed and manufactured locker does not need dual springs and our design gets around with what we feel is a significant differential. You will find that the LR product usually includes a hardened cross shaft. History has shown the only the Dana 35 diff has a real issue with soft OEM cross shafts and a hardened shaft is not required when the cam action of the locker is properly designed and manufactured. The cam in the Aussie Locker and the LR are different in design and pin breakage is not an issue with a properly installaled Aussie. We note that LR sells pin and spring sets as an option even when they include a hardened cross shaft.

We use a special steel alloy not available in the USA. Our steel comes from mills in Germany because we simply cannot get mills here to produce the alloy combination we feel is needed for optimum strength and wear. We also own our own heat treat facility to ensure that the critical processes are followed to the letter. And each Aussie Locker is inspected under an electronic microscope that measures accuracy to the micron leve.

The warranty on the LR and the Aussie are similar, BUT the LR has an out if you have tires larger than what came on your Jeep. So if you have large tires or high horsepower (even if stock) they can get out of honoring a warranty claim. We do not have those "Get out of jail cards" as the Aussie Locker will take whatever you can throw at it.

The legions of Aussie Locker owners tend to be vocal in their support of the product. It is a smoother operating locker, more reliable according to the people who put money up and installed the Aussie Locker.

I am not sure if we got you off the fence or not. I guess it depends on what response you get from the President of Richmond Gear that makes the LR product.

Let us know if we have not answered your question.

I have yet to hear back from Richmond Gear...

-Pat

• I'm leaving PA at 7 and hoping to be at Ed's at or right before 9. Just picked up RTV and gear oil. Looking forward to it!

• :doh:
    Just noticed this is going in a front axle.

We'll need to pull the uni hubs to remove the axle shafts.
    we may need to go to the store for bang out bolts

• Locker is Done. Matt seems pleased with it. May need some break in time for it to quiet down, but that bad boy is loud! I drove mine around to show him what my lock-rite sounded like and his sounds 10 times louder!! LOL. it is on and working with everything lock-tited up and torqued to the right specs, thanks to DrJ for letting us use his torque wrench. Thanks for the good morning guys. oh yeah, "I drove by that place and it was beautiful" - quote of the day from Matty. You have to use a higher pitched voice though...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• The install was painless. It was easier than I thought it would be. Good learning experience I would feel confident to do my own at this point. :tup:

P.S. Now I smell like gear oil

• Thanks to everyone who showed up and helped out. I really learned a lot today - the locker seems A-OK and I can't wait to get it out on the rocks next weekend at PAP. Thanks again.

And I have no idea what you're talking about Ed... :wavey: :laughing:

• Once I pulled out of Ed's development, there was no noticeable difference except for the ratcheting sound round harder corners. I haven't put it back in 4wd yet but I'm going to try to find some mud or something up here and see how she handles.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!