Trail Report - August Oink at Rausch Creek

• DeJA joined the Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance at their annual August Oink this weekend at Rausch Creek Off-Road Park. We wheeled on Saturday during the day, at roast pork for dinner, did a night ride, then wheeled again on Sunday.

Here's a report of Saturday's activities...

DeJA split into two groups, modified and hardcore. Chris Hall (JeepSahara) let the modified group, and I led the hardcore group. Two folks from BMJA also joined into Chris's group. With the hardcore group we had MOPARTECH (Brian), Ian CLENDANIEL, salvagexj (DJ), and 2000Sahara (Ed). We started out with a warm up on C trail, with a quick dip on on of the new trails off that one, then up the black rated rock steps. At the top, we waited for another group to exit trail 4 so we could head that way, but of course, they stopped right in our path - two on the left, one disabled with a bent tie rod, the rest to the right, so we had to wait for them all to come through.

After we finished trail 4, we headed to black-rated trail 5, which I had never seen before. The first interesting obstacle was an off-camber big rock descent with a nasty tree hanging down over the trail. I didn't like my original line, too close to that tree (don't want to smash ANOTHER windshield), so with some maneuvering (spotting by Brian), I made it down. The rest then followed the good line. At the exit, I turned off the wrong way, so when we resumed the trail I was at the back of the line. Our first damage was at the next climb, where Ed did something to his new Detroit. Either the locker was damaged, or the axle shaft splines got stripped, but anyway we parked his jeep off of trail C and Ed continued as a passenger.

Meanwhile, Chris's group has some mechanical issues of their own. Jeepers (Greg) went through the deep mud puddle on the pole line (the one that had a sign saying "DANGER 5 FT DEEP PUDDLE") and messed up something -- clutch, tranny, who knows -- and had to be towed out of the park by I.N.M. Tom, with Chris leading. Meanwhile DJ took his XJ through the mud puddle also, successfully, but may have messed up a cylinder or two in the process. I took the rest of the group to Crawler Ridge for lunch, after a brief circle to campsite C to drop off the BMJA folks.

Chris and Tom met up with us at Crawler Ridge. Brian was playing on the rocks, desperately trying to try out his new roll cage from Up'N'Over. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view), he never had fewer than three tires on the ground. I took one stab at climbing the Ridge also, had a good line, and almost sailed right up. Almost is the word, because I stalled and slipped down and sideway. After some maneuvering and bumping into trees (a recurring theme), with spotting by Brian, I backed out and led the group on to the West side of the park.

In the West side, we made an afternoon of it on Trail 12 (not too exciting, not much mud), and then headed back to the East side.

Those who were signed up for the Oink stood around at the upper staging area waiting for dinner, and the rest headed down to the Comfort Inn to grill their hamburgers outside McDonald's door. The dinner was pretty good - roast pork, macaroni and potato salads, and cake. We had seen the pig go onto the grill at 8:30 in the morning, and were not sure how it would turn out, but it looked great. It was definitely thoroughly cooked (I peeked at the meat thermometer), and it was moist and tasty. Tom was first in line for the food (first in line for seconds also, doesn't your wife feed you, Tom?), and I was only a few behind. The rest of the slowpokes were further back in line, but we all got to eat out fill. MMMM!

At 8:30 we formed up for the night ride. I don't think the BMJA folks planned this one any more than saying to be ready at 8:30, because Bruce Shallis and Mark Lecher (two of the three RC managers, with Lynn Erenfelt) were pressed into leading duties. To have smaller groups, I volunteered to lead a group and they accepted the offer. So I took a group of 10 or so jeeps, with Outten County Chrysler's Brian Moyer at the back, up the pole line (bypassing the big puddle), over to the West side, all the way down H, looping back on Trail 11, then through blue-rated Trail 15. On Trail 15, there's a big (maybe 40 yards), deep (up to the headlights), stinky water hole, so I led the group through. Two declined, but everyone else dove in and made it through. I had some muddy water slosh in over my door sills, and Paul's jeep was totally mud covered -- inside and out. The rest had varying levels of water in their jeeps (except those with doors). Then we headed down J to H, and back up to the East side. We went back via trail C and then cut up to enter the C campsite from the back, and dropped off all the BMJA'ers who were camping there. The rest of us headed out of the park, returning to the staging area a little after 11. I packed up my jeep onto the trailer and headed back to the Comfort Inn with Paul right behind.

I didn't stay for Sunday's ride (too much to do at home), so Greg and I hit the road around 10:00 and headed home. Someone else will need to give us a report of the second wheeling day.

I had a good time, no breakage, a bit of mud to clean up today, but it was a successful DEJA event.

Former Trail Boss (2003 - 2005)

Edited once, last by ().

• Andrew-- Thank you very much for helping us on Saturday nite by guiding a group. It was greatly appreciated by Bruce and I.

And just for the record, on Sunday, Bruce and I went down to the mud hole on 15 to try to get that small tree out of the middle. While there, I managed to burry my TJ in the hole-- we went in from the side to attach my winch to that tree (we climbed out on the front bumper to hook it up so we did not have to wade in). I ended up having to call Lynn to come down and winch me out. I hate mud, and that hole is deep and nasty! At least when it was all said and done, we got the tree out of the middle.

Thanks again for coming up to the park and for guiding!! And thank you to all the DEJA people who came to wheel and support the park. We appreciate your patronage of the park!

Mark Lecher

• Andrew's review is right on, except that he forgot to mention that out of the 6 DeJA members that registered and attended the Oink!, 3 of us won prizes! Andrew won a set of halogen work lights, Greg won a gift certificate to Outten County Chrysler, and I got a new one of those folding travel chairs (with secret resevoir! :shh: ) Not too bad. The food was good there too! Plenty of pig for everyone.

The night wheeling was different, I've never been out in the dark, but sticking to mostly greens and a few low blues we were all fine. The mud hole was a different story. It would all be good, but I wasn't counting on the mud flying up as much as it did. Andrew warned that anyone under 35's might get some inside, but I had my doors on, so I thought I'd be ok. What I didn't think about was rolling my freakin' windows up! :bang: I'm a dumbass. I was going on, but then it felt like it was starting to bog down so I gave it a bit too much pedal. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. It's the muddiest my Jeep has ever been, and I'm not looking forward to cleaning the inside. It won't look as bad in the pics though, because all of the stuff in the back that took the brunt has been removed already.

Anyway, after the night wheeling, Andrew and I returned to Camp Comfort close to midnight. Everyone was pretty much sleeping at that point. I woke up Ed who rented me his couch for the night (Ed, I forgot to give you the $$ for that, it'll be in the mail this week, but I'm taking $5 off for the headache that thing gave me all day Sunday! :doh: )

The next morning, DJ and Ed headed home, and Chris, Ian, Brian, and myself met Artie and Mike at the staging area. Chris (JeepSahara) was our guide for the day, so I'll let him recap the trails we hit, because I don't really know. :shrug: I will say that between Andrew and Chris, and with spotting by Dave (Chris' Dad) and Brian (mopartech), we did I think 3 black trails over the weekend, which was the first my Jeeps ever been on. Sunday was a bit nerve racking for me, mostly because I had a killer headache most of the morning and afternoon, and wasn't focused real well. We hit a few nasty spots, and regardless of the comments from another Jeeper there (not in our group) about us not having lockers and we shouldn't be on a particular trail, Chris and Brian got us through the rough stuff just fine. Ian had a few problems on one nasty trail, but that allowed for the COOLEST rebeading of a tire I've ever seen! Again, I'll let Chris explain....

It was a good weekend. I took my Jeep on it's hardest trails yet and escaped with only a crushed endcap and ding in the rocker (uh honey....I NEED rocker guards! :smlove: ).The clean up will suck, and the smell will probably remain. Can't wait for next trip!

• Well....let me start by saying this was one of the most interesting wheeling trips yet. Like Andrew said we split off into two groups on Saturday. In my group there was Paul (Wanderlust), Tom (INMTom), Ken (Ken), Greg (Jeepers), Stetson (dmaster), along with assorted spouses, girlfriends, siblings, and parents, we also had Lee and Chris from BMJA. We started out on trail 1 (a blue). Everyone made it through the crazy off-camber situation just fine, then Stetson, Greg, Tom and Ken decided to try the gully with seems to have gotten steeper on the exit. Everyone manage to make easy work of that and then Ken started up. He got most of the way up and stopped at a nice angle just prior to the top. With some crafty strapping from the side and the front, he made it up just fine. From there we started to head down Pole line when we came up on this mud hole that said it was 5 ft deep. Everyone took the bypass except Greg (He wanted a Greg's Mud Hole at RC too) We had was going good up until the middle. He just kept digging, so he backed out of it. However, when he started to go to the bypass his tranny decided it didn't want to go into any gear. After some wrenching, he determined it was terminal (don't worry Greg, the 36's will come someday).
    Tom straped Greg back to the trailer with me keeping them from being rear-ended on the main roads. From there we met up with the rest of the group at Crawler Ridge and Andrew led all of us through trail 12 for the rest of the day.

Sunday turned out to be a gorgous day. The remaining Deja members decided to stay together in our own group for this day. In this group there was Artie (JeepinArtie), Brain (Mopartech), Paul (Wanderlust), Tom (INMTom), Ken (Ken), Ian (Clendaniel), and Artie's friend Mike. We started out on L3 which is a blue and then started on U3. I then decided to make a right into Trail 6 which is a black. Brain and Ian took the extreme route with some body damage while the rest of us took the less extreme route. Ian ran into some issues with a rock meeting the sideway of his tire. After getting the spare on we realized it didn't have much air in it and we just needed to get him over this one obstacle and then I could air that one up a little. Well, easier said than done. That tire lost its bead. After some finagling with a ratchet strap and some OBA we decided to swap that tire for Artie's spare (33" swamper) onto Ian's MJ (35" tires). This got him off the trail and we decided to break for lunch so that I could fix my OBA (long story) and we could get the bead back on Ian's tire.
    Well......the bead didn't want to go on no matter what we did......so.....last resort (do not try this at home) was to try some of Brian's "2+2" to use as ether on the bead and light it on fire to put the bead back on. Well, Ian sprayed down the bead, Paul readied the fire extinguisher, and all of us (including some dirt bikers) watched on from a safe spot. Ian lit the fluid and pop...the tire flew up in the air a foot or so landed back on the bed of the truck and the bead was back on, the tire was on fire, but the bead was back on. Brian killed the fire with the extinguisher and we got the tire back on. (Nothing better than air tools and lighter fluid on the trail) From there we hit Trail 15 (bypassing the mud hole) and onto trail 13. This trail is rated blue but most of it is black. From there we hit 11 to H to Pole Line to trail C. A very exciting day of wheeling.

Thanks to everyone for making this a great trip. Thanks also for trusting me a your guide. You guys were great to lead and made it very interesting and exciting. I can't wait for the next trip

-Chris

Oh, pictures that my dad took (only about 100 this time) will be up sometime this week.

• Excellent recap! That's just how it went...

Except the "long story" part was that as Chris was coming back down from the obstacle Ian lost his bead on, he came down on a rock and just then there's a loud pop and hissing sound for about 10 seconds, with what we all thought was smoke coming from below his Jeep. Lets see if this verbal interpretation will help:

Chris' Jeep: chug- ch u g - c h u g-(slowing just before drop)

Brian (spotting): "come forward, no worries"

Chris' Jeep: chug-chug-[size=18px]BANG![/size] POP! HISSSSsSssSsssssssssss.....

Brian (spotting): "WORRIES!"

Chris: *&%%^$*#@##/!!!

Brian (spotting): "turn it off, turn it off"

(silence.........cricket noises......)

Brian: "It's just your OBA"

Chris: "Thank GOD, THAT scared the &*^%$ out of me, oh, I mean the crap out of me. Sorry for my language"

So, you can see what a fun and interesting day it was. Shame we didn't get pics of the rebeading, that was something else. Hopefully Ian can go on the next ride too. :suspicious:

Here's few shots of my mess. Doesn't really look so bad now....

the driver side took the majority, along with my face through the open window. See the mud/water line across the grill?

one of the inside.

Rest of the pics from the whole trip....well, the ones I took, are IN MY GALLERY! It was a good trip, and the ride home was more enjoyable than usual with plenty of good-natured banter.

Can't wait till next time.

• It was a fun ride, my sister (Kat) and my girl friend (Katie) had a great time, thanks Tom for letting them ride in your Jeep. We all had fun and were sorry that we had to leave so soon. cant wait to see the pic that everyone took.

OH Chris, you forgot to mention that i too went in to that 5 ft deep mud hole....LOL oh well.

Thanks again for showing my sister how much fun it is to go out on the trails...

• Definitely had a great time! :up: :up:

The old MJ did me proud once again although it's one step closer to being a flatbed/truggy...if I get bored this week the sawzall might make an appearance. :suspicious: Sat was a good day of wheeling albeit a bit soggy. As Andrew said the hardcore group suffered a few breakages...luckily I wasn't one of those and actually made it through an entire day of wheeling without mangling another TrXus. DJ and Ed suffered the worst although both were still able to limp home Sun morning under their own power.

Those of us that didn't participate in the pig roast decided to eat at "Buddy's Log Cabin"....a fine eatery not far from Rausch Creek. :laughing: The highlight of the meal was Chris attempting to order a cheesesteak with, god forbid, ketchup...waitress thought he was a nutcase!

Sunday was beautiful out after the sun warmed it up a bit. Since Chris' dad cursed me the night before by telling me that I had a whole 'nuther day before I could say I made it through a trip without losing a tire I knew I was in for a day of fun! :rasp: After traversing a particularly hairy section with the help of Brian's excellent spotting I proceded to go through two tires on a seemingly easy obstacle...that's strike 3, those stinkin' TrXus are gone as soon as I figure out a decent replacement. We stopped for a quick break for Chris to repair his OBA and me to reseat the bead. After a couple attempts the "traditional" way I had Brian get out the 2+2 so that I could demonstrate the hillbilly method of seating beads... :laughing: :laughing:

Can't wait for the next run and thanks to Chris and Andrew for leading!

--Ian

• Nice pics Chris (and Dave!), man, it was like being there! :wavey:

Some of those, if you clicked really fast, look like a movie, Dave's a madman with the camera![/i]

• I got to get back out there! It's no fun sitting home while everyone plays!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• You should just have to register (maybe turn the CAPS LOCK key off? :spinrhead: ), and then login to that site. Then come back here and click Chris' link again and it should open to his album.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!