headlamp prob

• Yet another problem... I changed my headlamps to hella w/h3 replacement bulbs. wanted Sylvania silver star like on my Yukon but sales rep said these were better. I'm quite disappointed. (just FYI) well enough of that. I was leaving work at night 30 miles from home and switched to low beams and all headlamps went out all electrical was on but lights went out. they came back on 4-5 seconds later, on high and opted to drive home with high beams on for fear of loosing them for good. My buddy who gave me the Jeep had probs before and my mecahnic at the time fixed the problem with a switch which I think he took off his crawler. When I got home I switched the lights to low in my driveway and they did the same thing; off and comming back on 4-5 seconds later. I switched quite a few times iafter that in my garage but didn't do it again. I guess i can make lemonade out of lemons and buy some aux. lighting! any suggestions as where to start or what the culprit may be. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. PeF

• Your High/Low beam switch is fried. That's a common problem on CJs. They're pretty cheap and easy to fix.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Your High/Low beam switch is fried. That's a common problem on CJs. They're pretty cheap and easy to fix.

Its a YJ John, but it probably is still the switch.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I would check the high beam switch on the floor like John said. Also if it is similar to a CJ and there is a connector where most of the wires go through the firewall check that too. I've had problems with my connection throught the firewall effecting my headlights.

• no the switch is on the column (sp?). YJ 88. I think I will try the switch removing the steering column cover and see whats up. It is working fine now, but the time I really need it its gonna go out! Isnt that how it always happens!?

• The column switches will still frie. I fried one on the Cherokee column I'm running. Get under the dash with a flash light, pull the wires from the switch (probably just in front of the brake petal) and look for discoloration of the plastic and/or some melting. The switch is white plastic but mine was yellowed near the terminals which is a sign of heat from shorting out.

Of course, I really couldn't see the yellowing until I removed the switch. :doh:

You can also take a multi-meter and measure the voltage coming off each terminal as you flick the high beam switch on and off. (with the power lead still hooked up of course). You'll hear an audible "click". If you don't then the switch contact is bad.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!