Ok, so I have an idea....

• Scrambler Full Legnth Hard top...
    1. Take 2 CJ-7 hard tops. Remove Windows
    2. Carefully measure and cut the back off one, and the front of the other such that joining them will create a full legnth top
    3. Use a biscuit joiner and epoxy to joint the 2 halves.
    4. Reinforce the joint with a thin layer of fiberglass and SUV roof rack ribs.
    5. Have a glass shop cut the windows so they can be fited together to form 2 longer windows with a rubber seam
    6. Rinse Lather and repeat. ;D

Think it would work? Any issues? A CJ8 tub is about 24" longer than a CJ7

I figure dammaged CJ tops can be found real cheap. Since I would be cutting away part of each I could get a CJ8 top for like $1-200.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• My one thought on this is if the fiberglass is thick enough to use a biscuit joiner.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• slimer did the opposite. you would not need to use a biscut. you can just grind down a couple layers and glass it together. i work with fiberglass daily if you need help.

• Cool thanks, Next step is to scope out some cheap CJ7 tops.

Steve

• Moneypit has one with a sunroof in it he might want to get rid of. ill ask him if you are interested.

• Cool, Mainly looking for tops that have front or rear dammage I can grab for under $100.

Steve

• The fiberglass tops are too thin for a biscuit joint. They are about ¼" thick to 3/8" (along the front part). I'd bolt some angle underneath to keep the peices in line with each other while you fiberglass them together. It will probably cost you about $100 in glass and resin by the time you're done.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That's a very good price. You'll be hard pressed to do your idea any cheaper.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I know. Let me talk to the wify... :bang: Dont think she will go for it./

Steve

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!