preping alloy wheels for paint! help please

• anyone around here ever have wheels powdercoated? got a few questions....
    1. Where locally can you have them done?
    2. Whats the price, I wanna do 4 16" wheels that are currently alloys....
    3. How do they hold up, do they chip much? Their for my truck so I will only be in snow and mud...

I know spray painting like others has done is an option, but is the quality there and does It hold up any where near a powdercoating?

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

Edited once, last by XJ99 ().

• Thanks, seems pretty expensive....shoulda Just got black wheels for my truck...

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• ok The powdercoating thought is out the window due to cost factors and I'd rather buy new wheels at that price...which I pry will sometime next year...so heres my new thing I need some advice on, thanx! sorry for re-Iterating I took this from another post on a ford site.

I got some 16x10 Eagle Alloy 058's for my superduty for next to nothing and want to paint them black, or give them that teflon wheel look. Powdercoatings not an option at almost 100 a wheel I could buy new black wheels for that price. Im basically hoping I can paint these and expect the paint to stick well for the next year or so until I get some new wheels.

Hoping for some advice on how to prep the wheels for paint. Obviously I want to clean them really well before applying any paint, but anything else? Should I use some minearl oil on the surface first to get It ready? Again their alloy wheels so Im not sure whether I need to rough the surface up or what for preperation. I plan on doing the rattle can Job, anywhere from 2-4 applications for best results....opinions on prep and the entire spray process?

• awesome thanks thats a nice write-up. I'm guessing Its going to be the same but I'll check first....does It make a difference that my eagles are alloy and not aluminum?

• awesome thanks thats a nice write-up. I'm guessing Its going to be the same but I'll check first....does It make a difference that my eagles are alloy and not aluminum?

Most wheels are an alloy of aluminum. Pure aluminum would be too soft.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!