Aftermath of my XJ swim....

• So today I took my XJ for a swim in the Frog Hole @ RC. As exciting as it was, I stalled in the hole, and water filled my entire cabin up to seat level. I got pulled out by Andrew (BlueJ), but not before I had to go semi-swimming myself to get the tow strap on. Drained the water out, started her up, mashed the gas pedal, 20 gallons of water came out the exhaust (have vids to prove it), and was generally able to continue.

The problems:
    Auto transmission is now sticking in gears, idling way rough, and sometimes not shifting at all. Had to ride in auto-1'st for the rest of the day, rode home in D but was running 65 mph @ 3500/4000 RPMs most of the ride because it wouldn't put me in the final gear.

The OBDII codes:
    P0171 - Bank 1 too Lean
    A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.

P0121 - Pedal Position sensor A circuit range / performance
    Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Range/Performance Problem. TPS signal does not correlate to MAP sensor signal.
    Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS). APPS voltage input below the minimum acceptable voltage.

P0740 - TCC Circuit Malfunction
    Torque Con Clu No RPM Drop at Lockup. Relationship between engine and vehicle speeds indicated failure of torque convertor clutch lock-up system (TCC/PTU sol).

P0715 - Turbine speed sensor circuit malfunction
    Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit

My gameplan:
    Overnight drying
    Full transmission fluid flushing
    Sensor removal, cleaning, CRC'ing

Thoughts? Will this probably cover my problems? Should I do anything else as well? I'd like to be back in business tommorrow so that I can return to RC with Slopar & friends on Wednesday....

• told you I don't like mud ;)

might as well pull the battery cable over night so the ecu resets, unless they are hard codes they should clear and you will have a better idea what was water and what is a problem in the morning after you do a trans flush, and clean your sensors.

• I think we should nickname your Jeep the cow. It just keeps on trucking.

I honestly can't believe she still started up after you swamped it like that. I thoguht for sure you got water in the intake. And after all the water that kept "bloooping" out of the exhaust.....

If this is the first obstacle, I can't wait to see the rest. Quite amazing.

• Sounds like you may have gotten water into the transmission. The vent for the AW4 is fairly open on top of the tranny. If you had water sitting @ seat level it is probably the case. I would suggest a good flush and filter change asap. But it may be to late if the tranny is already acting up.

• I might be able to lend on a hand on Tuesday if you need anything, I should be home all day.

Man, that was a sinker. Thank god that is a trail rig at least if the little things like AC don't work you are alright.

Hope to see you on Weds.

• I did the same hole before with my XJ...I feel your pain

best I can say is change your fluids, axles, transfer case, transmission and such....dry everything out. Check your brakes, that was my biggest problem I had mud caked up for weeks stuck in my drums and rotors that was nearly Impossible to get out. Also If Its still running rough check your TPS sensor up on the throttle body, Its notourious for geting wet and screwing things up. I'm sure you wont be doing that again....hehe...I cant remember If anyones ever made It through there? Its like a bottomless pit of mud and I had some crazy aggressive swampers and was locked front at the time.

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• Update:

Flushed tranny fluid:
    So today I uncorked the transmission pan, drained it, removed it, replaced the tranny filter, reconnected the tranny pan. Put 5 quarts back in (the amount I took out at that point). Then we disconnected the return line going into the tranny. Ran the jeep, let about 2 quarts pump out, turned jeep off, poured in 2 more quarts. Did this yet again, and at this point the tranny fluid started to look like tranny fluid again. What we drained out originally ranged from brown to a dark maroonish color, with a just a drop of milkiness.

Cleaned sensor contact:
    Not sure exactly which contacts got cleaned as I was working on the tranny while some friends worked on this. I think TPS sensor, possibly the MAP connector. Pretty sure the O2 sensor contact. I think we used STS to clean the contacts, but I might have the acronym wrong.

Results:
    Idle is still rough but not as rough. Only code left is the first one (Bank 1 too Lean). Shifting is 90% better. A little weirdness still happening if I'm going fast, and slow down to stop. Kind of jerks right before slipping into N. We are currently thinking that the O2 sensor might be shot, causing the rich mix & rough idle. Probably going to try replacing it soon, but for right now it is pretty stabile.

New Problem:
    Damaged rear diff cover. I put a pretty good dent in it. New diff cover just jumped to the top of the list. Anyone have a suggestion on a quality inexpensive diff cover for a Ford 8.8 rear?

I did the same hole before with my XJ...I feel your pain

LOL, it's like DeJA-vu looking at those pictures, except I went in the opposite direction.

best I can say is change your fluids, axles, transfer case, transmission and such....dry everything out. Check your brakes, that was my biggest problem I had mud caked up for weeks stuck in my drums and rotors that was nearly Impossible to get out. Also If Its still running rough check your TPS sensor up on the throttle body, Its notourious for geting wet and screwing things up. I'm sure you wont be doing that again....hehe...I cant remember If anyones ever made It through there? Its like a bottomless pit of mud and I had some crazy aggressive swampers and was locked front at the time.

changed tranny fluid. Engine oil is brand new, you really think I need to change it? I will probably change diff fluid once I get new diff cover after I go back to RC on wednesday. Change transfer case fluid? Got a how-to link?

Brakes are great. They're brand new too. I have disc brakes all around btw. I'm considering the possibility that the MAP is boinked, and may need to be replaced, but that's like $80 :(

I actually think I might have shorted out across the battery terminals. I had no water in my intake and was running at a pretty good clip. Don't really know why I stalled.

• Any chances you can pull the diff cover off, and beat the dent out of it as a temp fix?

I wouldn't go back through the Frog Pond on Wednesday :razz:

My first trip to RC last year on the chick's ride, I put my skid up against my tranny, 1st acted funny until we beat it back into shape. I have some funny pics of Woody standing on the skidplate while Surfrider is beating it with sledge.

• Any chances you can pull the diff cover off, and beat the dent out of it as a temp fix?

I wouldn't go back through the Frog Pond on Wednesday :razz:

My first trip to RC last year on the chick's ride, I put my skid up against my tranny, 1st acted funny until we beat it back into shape. I have some funny pics of Woody standing on the skidplate while Surfrider is beating it with sledge.

As far as I can tell the dent is causing 'no' to 'negligible' effect. I'd rather just wait and replace it with real protection in a week or 2.

Lol, I'm done with Frog Pond, that's for sure. I like the mud, but I'd prefer not to be sitting in it (literally).

I hadn't really thought to look and see if my skidplate got pushed around at all. I'll have to take a look-see tommorrow.

• That's the nice thing about CJs. The rusty floors drain water out well. :innocent:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It was pretty cold that day to be in bare fee. :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• At least he didn't have to worry about wet socks. :shrug:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• nice job........

i subbed my YJ last year at wharton.. went in nose first and it got deep real quick. tried to back out but i was done... had to be pulled out..

i drained the tranny like 4 times... never thought to disconnect the lines and let the crap run out, i just kept dopping the pan.. it seems to be okay now.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!