Rubicon Express shocks....

• Is it me or are these shocks EXTREMELY stiff?

I had some doestech's before this...on a 2in BB.....

Now I have the RE shocks, I think they are gas, on a RE 3.5....they seem SO stiff.

It makes me wonder if the OME's are really worth it??

Any thoughts? Is it just the kit itself?

• i dont know if theres gonna be that much of a differance....at least to justify the extra money......

wrong - huuuuuge difference. i had RE monotube's in back and swapped them for OME's - night and day difference. can't wait to swap out the front RE's for OME's now. RE monotubes are already pricier than DT's or skyjackers....so the hop in price to OME's isn't really that much more.

• wrong - huuuuuge difference. i had RE monotube's in back and swapped them for OME's - night and day difference. can't wait to swap out the front RE's for OME's now. RE monotubes are already pricier than DT's or skyjackers....so the hop in price to OME's isn't really that much more.

what could i sell the RE's I have no for you think?

• OME's are awesome. I'd bet you plenty that you'll see or rather feel the difference immediately. Thats all I'll run anymore.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• perfect for any offroading vehicle. theres plenty of those around. its better to have stiff shocks on the rocks.

• I thought the ones that came with the kits were twin tube for Rubicon :shrug:???

On another note I dont have OME for shocks...but I did just put a OME steering stablizer on and I love it!!!

• I have the DT2000 shocks and I think they aren't stiff enough. Wrenchfest it and we'll swap if you haven't beat the crap out of them.

• You're missing an important part of this equation, though...spring rates.

I did a bunch of research when I was gonna run coilovers and one of the things that I'd found was a listing of TJ lift springs. I tried to search on pirate but it kept giving me database errors....from memory the RE lift springs are approx twice as stiff as a OEM coil spring. The closest to stock were OME coils as evidenced by their soft stock-ish ride.

--Ian

• I'm the fourth owner of the springs on my TJ, who knows what they are! Overall it could be a crisper/stiffer ride and be fine with me.

• Since it was asked

Super Lift 4" TJ coils:
    Front - 150 lbs/sq.in. (constant rate)
    Rear - 150 lds/sq.in. (constant rate)

Rubicon Express 4.5" TJ coils:
    Front - 190 lbs/in. (constant rate)
    Rear - 250 lbs/in. (constant rate)

5.5" RE1352 22.38 free height 185 lb/inch 5.25 OD 17.5" installed

7.5" RE1358 23.5 free height 213.8 lb/inch 5.125 OD 19.25" installed

Currie Enterprises 4" TJ coils:
    Front - 165 lbs/in. (constant rate)
    Rear "std" - 175 lbs/in. (constant rate)
    Rear "hvy duty" 192 lbs/in. (progressive rate)

Rancho TJ coils:
    Front: 150 lbs/in.
    Rear: 150 lbs/in.
    Rear Hvy: 200 lbs/in.

OME 2.5"
    Front: OME933 140 lbf/in
    Rear: OME942 160 lbf/in

Terraflex 3" springs:
    170 lbs/inch-------frt and rear

Terraflex 4" springs:
    200 lbs/inch-------frt
    210 lbs/inch-------rear

OME 4"
    Front 4" coil
    OME939
    Spring rate - 220 Lbs/inch

Rear 4" coil
    OME946
    Spring rate - 235 Lbs/inch

BDS 3"

Fronts are 160 lbs/in BDS P/N 034302
    Rears are 175 lbs/in, BDS P/N 034308

• Just curious if it was a misprint.... You have the 2.5" OME @ 140 and 160 lbf/in.. Is that correct?? Because everything else is labeled in lb/in? Otherwise, that's a metric that's way off.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!