engine swap or supercharger?

• From what I have read in the past, stroking a 4.0L is as simple as putting in a crank shaft from a 258. You can get them FREE. KeithC is giving away a 258. Loki also has a 258 for really cheap.

Either way (swapping in a crank vs. a new motor) you will be pulling the motor. So that work is a wash. But you will have to tear down the bottom end of the 4.0L...which isn't too bad with the help of a manual.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/stroker40/index.asp

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/tec…rStory/StrokerSummary.htm

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• i think the 258 crank has to be shortened on one end to fit the 242 block

Are you sure about that? I don't recall hearing that.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I love all this talk about stroking the 4.0L. But it doesn't make sense putting money into an engine like that. go to http://www.jegs.com and take a look at the crate motors they have. In my opinion, you'll get a much better base engine to put money into for less money than the stroker kit. In fact, the fully assembled chevy small block will already make more power than your stroker motor, and have much more room to grow. I know they come with a carbureter, but it just seems like something worth putting money into to me (plus you can always change that).

Salvatore Giglia

• I have to agree, as wonderful as 4.0s are they are not powerblocks. They're more long-term investments. If you want power you'll need to switch to the 350 - its cheap, easily modifed, and readily avalible. I've been looking at the 4.6L strokers for some time and the one word I haven't heard associated with it much is "reliable." Home-built kits apparently need some serious knowledge to properly setup and its not as easy as "swapping the cam" (like many, many websites preach.) A knowledgeable machinist is a must.

If you're looking for a small boost in HP a mild supercharger is the best way to go - little modification, no real wear on the motor, and if it doesn't work you can always unbolt it and sell.

• thanks for the input...............anyone know of any shops that are semi local and have expereince swapping V8's for 4.0's? I'd like to get a better understanding of the overall cost (i.e. what else do I need to replace when dropping something like that in)

• looks like a mute point for now. I think I have come across a suspension kit at a great deal that's going drain the funds for now.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!