skyjacker or bds lift?

• Im gettin a new 2007 rescue green jk 2 door i was thinkin of just running a 3 inch BDS lift on with 35s but i know id eventually want bigger than that the jk is fairly new so not many companys have lifts much bigger than 3 inches for the 2 door jks until i was on qtec tonight and saw that skyjacker makes a 5 inch lift for the 2 door now here lies my problem number one should i get the skyjacker over the bds i had a 6inch lift from skyjacker on my 2004 ram but ive heard skyjacker referred to as skysagger on the rof forums do they really sag that much? I would imagine just like with the tj that id need a new drive shaft if im going above 3 inches or did they change that with jk? number two i opted to get the x this time around because when i bought my tj rubi i spent alot of money on lockers and stuff that i never really used so i did opt for the 4:10 gears in my new one now if i were to just get 37s right off the bat would i need new axles? i dont plan on doing alot of hardcore rock crawling or anything just the occasional mud? or should i just stick with the 3 inch bds lift? anyone running skyjacker or no anyone that has and has had problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated

• The JK's are so new...that many people haven't had much experience with them on here. I would highly recomend making your way over to the jk-forum.com and also look at http://www.4x4xplor.com.

I'm willing to bet you someone has asked the same question on jk-forum.com...

And all and all...here's the best advice I can give you. - DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY...

I know in my past experience i wish I just bought my RE 3.5 from the getgo, instead of doing 2inch bb and 1in bl, then it. That's the best advice I can give you.

One of the guys from q-tec may be able to chime in on what they've heard about the kits.

• If your gonna run 37's I'd say you'll eventually need new axles. With that said, you can't just swap in any old axle like a TJ. Your gonna drop some serious coin to get the ones you need. Xtream 4X4 ended up using a 44 axle for the front because they couldn't figure out how to do away with the speed sensors on the axles.

The JK is a whole new breed that has many quirks that have not been worked out yet. I'd do ALOT of research before dropping any money for any lift just yet. Find out what else you'll need once you buy the lift. I've heard that the computer on the JK will not let the jeep even run if something is done that it does not like.

I know meeper and jeepsahara knows more about it since Quadratec has bought one to modify and they've run into ALOT of problems.

Good luck

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Hod off on the JK for a few years. Let others run into problems and recalls before you spend the coin. The dealer tried his hardest to get me into a Rubi JK when I traded in my '06 Unlimited back in November. I was like hell no, maybe in 3-5 years after the bugs have been worked out.

• With the new dana 44's....do you really need to replace them? I thought I read something you didn't??

I believe he said he ordered an X and not the Rubi. I guarantee that an X does not come with 44's.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• Skyjackers have a reputation for sagging, but I'm not sure whether it came from leaf spring or coil spring set ups. I'm running Skyjacker leaf springs and I think they are fine. I bought them used but they weren't that old. I DID have to add a leaf to the rear to get it up a bit though. They flex like MAD though! BDS would probably be the safer bet. I have never heard anything bad about BDS lifts.

But, as others have said....I'd wait to let everyone else work out the bugs with the new model.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If your like me, your not going to wait to lift. (even though that's great advice). In doing some personal research for my TJ, I haven't really found anyone that had alot of good things to say about Skyjacker. BDS seems to have a good rep along with Rubicon Express, Old Man Emu, Fab-tech, Currie.

• I'm fine with Skyjacker. But I only do mud so I just need the clearance for tires and could care less about how it really performs. :laughing:

Do BDS. RE/nth would be even better.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• well i already got my x its rescue green i got the sirius satelite radio and the infinity with the hardtop i went with the 3 inch bds lift and 35x12.50 nitto mud grapplers on 17x9 rims my jeep should be finished saturday the dealers doing everything for me and it will all be under warranty they are also recalibrating it so the esp does screw up with the larger tires i know some people were saying there light would come on with 35's

• Good call on letting the dealership do it. Probably a little more coin but atleast it's still under warranty :up:

Post some pics when you get it back

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• yeah well i figure it cost me a lil more but its all in my financing and i figure if something ever went wrong it might cost me more if its voided then it would to just pay them to do it

• i called qtec this morning before i told the dealer what lift i wanted and they say eve with d44's i should still swap them if i was gettin 37's

• Let me know how you like the tires when you get it on the road. I'm thinking of them when my MTR's run out which shouldn't take long, lol.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!