Axle Questions?

• I need to fix my front axle before winter. Only problem is I'm not sure what is wrong with it. So does anyone see a problem with basicly gutting the axle and still driving on it? Take out the carrier, axles, and pinion, and all that stuff to find out what is wrong, and get the parts and still drive?

I'm thinking I may need to leave the carrier in there, as it may have some support in the front axle. :shrug:

Also I need to stop my rear axle from leaking. So does anyone know of a shop in the Middletown/Newark area that has a press and is open on saturdays? I need to take out the rear axle, have the bearings and seal pressed off, and the new one pressed on.

• What gears are you running? There is no problem with gutting the diff and letting the front wheels free role on the spindles. They do while in 2WD anyway.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm running 4.10. I broke something in the front axle in the spring. I haven't had time yet to tear it apart and figure out what is wrong. I opened the diff cover but didn't really see much, except some metal pieces.

Whenever you engage the 4wheel drive and start to move it makes a loud banging noise over and over again basically as the axle is turning.

So I want to tear it apart and find out what is going on before winter comes and I need 4x4.

• Is it a narrow track or a wide track? I have an extra narrow track but it only has 3.54 gears. I also have a few sets of narrow track axles if that is your problem. Did you rotate the ring gear to see if you ripped off a tooth?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It's wide track. Yea I tried to rotate it some, I didn't do a real good job at looking at it yet. I saw the oiler or whatever the big washer like thing on the pinon is called was all chewed up. I'm not sure how that happened, and I think that it was the metal I found in the oil/sludge.

What about a shop that does press work on saturdays?
    I'm new to Delaware so I have to find all the shops to get stuff done around here.

• The used to be a big A auto parts that pressed bearings on and off. I also think that if you take it to pep boys they will do it too. If you go to the one in newark, DJ, (Salvagexj on the boards) works in the shop there he should be able to do it.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!