Rattling cat/clogged?

• On start up I can hear something in the exhaust rattling until it idles down to normal idle, I believe its the cat, but the exhaust is still to hot to put my hand on it and give a few places a shake to further find out.

But recently i have been getting like terrible gas mileage like 26 miles in only a quarter tank, would the cat be effecting that?

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• it could..
    does the jeep feel sluggish?
    wait till it cools down a bit and see if you can tap at the cat.. listen for anything loose in side of it.. as the catalyst burns down sometimes it makes a ball or clump that can get in front of the exit..
    iirc when my cat was going bad it started burning more fuel...
    good luck.. let me know if you want a hand

• thanks man i appreciate it, its cooled down now so im going to walk outside and check the whole exhaust system and find where its rattling at..

brb :spinrhead:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• yeah well im pretty sure its the muffler now.. I started it up and climbed under and even put my hand to the muffler and just felt it clankin and clankin..

who votes for cutting the muffler off 4 cyl straight pipe roar!! :driving:

• They used to sell test pipes to put on to test the cat. If your gas mileage went up then the cat was bad. The problem was that people would just leave the test pipe on. They do a visual so you have to have it on there. The rattling is probable just the heat shield. Over time the spot welds break and the thin metal rattles.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• my cat rattled now my muffler and cat rattles hehe I think the stuff in my cat has moved to the muffler. some day it might come out the tail pipe. I had the xj throwing codes on the way down to spring fling, had something to do with too rich after the cat... so I assume my cat screens have come loose. ehh engine light is off now so I dont have to replace anything yet. I got two more years before inspection. so I am good.

has not affected my millage but if your millage is sucking take it apart and check it out. if its clogged gut it. and save up for a new one when inspection comes around. :)

• how do you gut the cat? also will it throw codes? cant you take the cat out and saving for when you go back through inspection and just put it back in?

• If you have less than 80,000 miles on it I believe the dealer must replace it.

There was a thread on this some where.

• don't gut the cat, get a new one ::)Not only is it a federal offense but the whole obd system works on the assumption the cat is working and you can foul your O2 sensors without it..... Not to mention engines run better when there is a proper amount of backpressure from the exhaust.....

• don't gut the cat, get a new one ::)Not only is it a federal offense but the whole obd system works on the assumption the cat is working and you can foul your O2 sensors without it..... Not to mention engines run better when there is a proper amount of backpressure from the exhaust.....

hey i was just curious.

• <EDIT> Hypothetically speaking since it is HIGHLY illegal, I would take the cat off, ram a large metal pipe through it and bust the remaining "honeycomb" out. It takes some time but it a lot cheaper and easier than spending $200 + for a new cat. A little FYI, when they test emissions there is no way to tell if you are running a hollowed cat. They do not test for the property the cat removes, hence they just do a visual to make sure there is one there. I've heard of a really smart guy that ran his hypothetical rig for over three years with a hollowed cat and had no ill effects. My hypothetical .02 of course.

• yeah the 4 cyl needs the back pressure to create power if you make it straight it will suck, also it needs the muffler.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• hey i was just curious.

And I am just saying that people telling you to gut the cat on an online bulletin board is just as bad as posting they are counterfitting money... .both are illegal and both I wouldn't want to give explicit directions on how to do it in a public forum.... But that is just me

• <EDIT> Hypothetical speaking since it is HIGHLY illegal, I would take the cat off, ram a large metal pipe through it and bust the remaining "honeycomb" out. It takes some time but it a lot cheaper and easier than spending $200 + for a new cat. A little FYI, when they test emissions there is no way to tell if you are running a hollowed cat. They do not test for the property the cat removes, hence they just do a visual to make sure there is one there. I've heard of a really smart guy that ran his hypothetical rig for over three years with a hollowed cat and had no ill effects. My hypothetical .02 of course.

Hypothetically Fixed.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!