New soft top - OEM or Bestop?

• OEM top on my 99 Sahara started ripping the other day and I need to get it replaced. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra $$ for the Bestop. How hard is it to install it? Keep in mind I'm more technically inclined than mechanically...you need your computer built/fixed I'm the man. You need anything more than a tire changed and I'm not. Probably the most important thing to me is how much easier is it to put the top up and put the back side windows in vs OEM? Is there a site that lists the steps to put the Bestop up?

• I have only dealt with the Bestop Supertop but I love mine and can have the top off in about 5 minutes, back on in about 10, including windows. Just window (all 3) removal or install is less than 5 minutes. I also bought the 2-piece soft doors from Bestop and love them as well...

• Bestop makes the OEM tops, so the quality is the same if you're getting a Bestop top.

For TJs, I'd recommend the "Replace-a-top"... that's just the soft top and windows, no hardware. They give you instructions on how to replace the old top reusing the factory hardware. Get the real deal Replace-a-top, not something from Rugged Ridge or Pavement Ends.

here's one at Quadratec. http://www.quadratec.com/products/11139_XX_PG.htm that comes with tinted windows and clear replacement door windows.

The Supertops are complete new tops with new hardware... the most noticable difference for most people is that the front of the top attachs to a bar along the windshield instead of the two clamps.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• psssssst, the same company bestop gets the tops from makes the Mopar ones, its just a mopar or bestop sticker in the window... :doh:

if the current top is too noisy for you than the sailcloth is the way to go, i like the regular replace a top because it folds downs easier and nicer than the thicker tops..

• After talking with the Quadratec guy for a while I ended up going with the Sailcloth top. I'm pretty sure I notice a reduction in noise a highway speeds, it's certainly doesn't make it like driving in a regular car but there is some reduction in noise. They did mention how the thickness affects putting it down but I'm not sweating that. Installation was easy....took about 90 minutes doing it by myself with a few breaks to listen to the UD lax game. All in all, I'm happy so far.

• I got a new top not too long ago. My old one was tearing and someone had ripped (and torn) my windows off while breaking into it overnight (even though the doors were unlocked).

But getting a new one was amazing, made the jeep look new. And it doesn't leak in the rain anymore. btw, install took less than 10 minutes.

this is the part i bought, $400 with shipping, just bought fabric, no hardware: http://www.quadratec.com/products/11132_3XX_PG.htm

Sal

• not that I've seen for a TJ... don't think they're available aftermarket. ebay or one of the large forums with a for sale section?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!