Transmission Problems

• Well after going through some mud at RC again saturday, and overheating the transmission to the boiling point; I've decided to do some preventative measures so this won't happen again.

I just ordered these for it.

Deep Pan:

Transmission Cooler:

And a Temperature Guage:

Now hopefully my transmission isn't already toast. I pulled the dipstick yesterday and there's mud on it so I'm just leaving it on the trailer and taking it right to my mechanic to have it all flushed out. Then install all of this and stay the heck away from any more mud.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I hate mud and deep water!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Brian, it seems kinda strange that you would have gotten mud in your tranny that easily. I don't remember you being in anything that was that deep? Is it possible you have a leak somewhere that let the mud in?

I've sunk my XJ several times and only ever had a tad bit of water in the tranny fluid once (in the very beginning before I replaced my tranny filter).

• jeep transmission vents are right on the top of the trannny... It is very very very easy to get crap into them.... it is also one of the biggest trouble spots with the auto's... Your vent may have already been relocated higher? If not you should really look into it.

• It is a definite possibility he got crap in the top because he was in the mud and water almost to the top of his 35s. I am a little clueless with the autos, is the vent a vent tube that can be routed higher or what?

• And it only has about a 1/4 in of clearance before the torque convertor. Brian Casper and I looked into it when I replaced the trans the first time. Unless you strip the trans and then weld the existing vent hole closed and re drill another one somewhere else you really have no alternatives. He didn't have the knowledge to dis assemble and re assemble the trans so we opted against it.

It's really just easier to stay out of the mud. :bang:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• been there done that...... submirged my YJ in a HUGE water hole.

needles to say the tranny went and had to be rebuilt. lesson learned.......

• There is a modification to tap the breather hole and plug it then tap a hole in the top of the case for a new breather fitting.

• is your coolant rusty?? the radiator can leak on the inside and put coolant into the trans...if the coolant is rusty it will look like mud in the trans.

• ::)WTF does the radiator have to do with the transmission?

This is a very common problem with jeep auto transmissions. I know of at least 10 people with new or rebuilt transmissions because of this..... It is a simple fix to extend the vent...

• I am Brian. You might be able to better explain to turtle why the 32RH is harder to vent then the AW-4. The trans shown in his diagram is an AW-4. The 32RH vents right behind the torque converter. Allowing no room to run a vent line. Brian has my old one at the shop still probably if you want to look at it. I'm open to any ideas on venting it.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

• How did you do it Mike. I couldn't figure out how to not only tap it but to find a 90 degree fitting that would fit in there. I'd love for someone to help me do this sometime. I don't have the know how to drop the tranny myself and dismantle the torque converter and do this mod.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!