LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!!

• First of I would like to say I am going to try and make it to the C&D cleanup.I have been there once in a while and it does get messy.Okey here I go with the questions,I have noticed since I bought this jeep it has a shaking around 60 to 65 mph but is not there to much before or after that speed.Its like a back and forth shake if you know what I mean.I think its a bad front stabilizer shock,or maybe messed up tires but they look fine to me,Thinking about swtching them around this weekend just to give myself somthing to do.Anyone have any clues???,This is a 1997 Jeep TJ with a 4.0.Also when I was changing my spark plugs,I could not reach the first plug because of the AC unit.Plus I bought new wires and was barley able to get that one wire to click in place on that old plug beacuse of the small area to work in.I am going to try one of those knuckle extensions to see if that works.NOw keep in mind everyone that this Jeep is a DEALS ON WHEELS special.I know I know.But nobody wanted her and I got it for 6999.99,not to bad I guess but it has 125.000 miles,ICK.Had no choice,it was the only JEEP TJ they had and I wanted a TJ BAD!!I needed a vehicle quick for work.I did notice when I got her home that it was squekking in the front right wheel.I jacked it up and did my quick inspect of the back and forth up and down movement and yep it was a bad wheel hub.I changed my first wheel hub on a jeep 2 weeks ago.I never did that before.Besides I had to break in my breaker bar.I thought maybe I could just chang the wheel bearings but there pressed in so I got a brand new hub for $117.00 at Limestone auto parts,Dealer wanted $250.00 with my chrysler discount,(NO WAY).
    The Jeep takes a little while to start on cold start ups,(about 5 turns)and I think the starter is going,sounds funky.Also theres a exhaust leak up front.I am crossing my fingers hoping its not the exhaust manifold.I havent looked yet,but I herd its common for them to crack.IT has a brand ne w top from pavement ends but I dont like because of the clear windows,so I bought my self a brand new OEM canvass 3 ply (DARK KHAKI)with tinted windows.this is for a 2004 model so I think but not sure that my orginal frame might not work,Any idea????The front bumper is bent a little on the passenger side and it has no Bumper ends or the front rubber pieces.So if anyone has a bumper they would like to sell me,great!!Any tubuler bumpers thats even better.I have some money in a few weeks to get them.Also the paasenger side seat does not do what my 1999 Jeep wrangler did,It doesnt move all the way forward so people can crawl in the back.The seat will tilt up and back and move forwar up and back but does not lift up when you hit the lever.

So I think I'm done,its late time for bed.IF anyone needs any parts for your jeep from the dealer (last hope),I get a 20% discount on everything because of my work.

LAters,
    John

• The steal cords in the tire/s might be broken,try to rotate them like you said. Broken steel cords could be the cause the of the bad vibration.Also check the sterring dampener might be worn out.
    The cable in the seat might be broken.
    The origanal hardware should work fine w/ the new top.
    4-5 rotations sounds normal,I just put a new starter and battery in my rubi, does the same thing.
    Flex socket/extension proabally your best bet for the front plug.Not sure though my 97 didn't have a/c
    I have the front bumper and bumperettes of my rubi if you are interested drop me a line

• I also have a '97 4.0L so I know what you're going through.

The exhaust leak is more than likely the manifold. Mine was cracked in two spots when I took it off and replaced it.

The starter is also a common problem. Every once in a while mine will not start on the first crank and makes a funny sound. Try it a second time and she starts right up. It's probably going soon so I'll be replacing that too.

The spark plug on #1, you usually need a u-joint socket with a long extention or a wobble extention. My York for my OBA is in the way of mine so a 12" extention with the universal usually gets it out.

I have a brand new TJ front bumper sitting in my basement if you want it. Still has the end caps on it.

I think I covered all the questions that I know. Let me know if you have any others.

-Chris

• Good luck with the exhaust leak, it is probably a cracked manifold.. Mine went at 50K , As far as the seat there is a cable that runs from under the left side of the pass seat to the back of the seat cusion where the seat folds at the hinge next to the center consoleeach end of the cable has a little Z link that holds it in place. mine is also broke ... right at the hinge where the seat folds... I looks like it will be a major PITA to replace.. but some help on that issue would also be appreciated. Like others have said a universal joint and extension will do the trick on the spark plug..
    Oh yeah Mine is also a 97 with the 4.0
    Hope some of this helps

05 unlimited rubicon teraflex long arm kit poison spyder rocker guards 35" pro comp extreme mud terrains

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!