Let's play a game - Guess the cherokee model

• Based on these pictures, can you classify this donor cherokee into one of the following categories

Hints: The axle does not have vacuum disconnects, to that should rule out 3.31

• That Cherokee has less dents than the one you're driving. ???

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• As stated it's most likely 3.55s. Do you recall if it had a hitch and FACTORY external trans. cooler? That would be the way it came if it had the towing package. Either way, I highly doubt if the gearing is going to match your 8.8 because it would make no sense for them to regear the 8.8 to 3.55s (the 8.8 did not come with 3.55s, it should either be 3.73 or 4.10 depending on what it came out of). Your best bet is to try to find an axle tag or do the rotating and counting the pinion turn method. Good luck bro, and you have a PM.

• there is no way anyone can say what it is and be 100% correct. Remember it is a JEEP :innocent:

yeah but its an auto and that really narrows down the gear options... :innocent:

• That's why I asked for guesses :)

I'll be able to look at it tonight (hopefully). So if I understand this correctly, the gear ratio is printed on the exterior of the axle somewhere?

For my 8.8, it is possible to have 3.55 gears in that as well. Here's hoping....

• That's why I asked for guesses :)

I'll be able to look at it tonight (hopefully). So if I understand this correctly, the gear ratio is printed on the exterior of the axle somewhere?

For my 8.8, it is possible to have 3.55 gears in that as well. Here's hoping....

Yeah, generally, there is a thin metal tag mounted by two bolts of the diff cover. The ratio will be stamped into this but very faintly. You'll want to take some type of cleaner (carb cleaner, brake cleaner...) to degunkify it. Many times though, the tag is missing.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• 8.8 Specs:
    Code Capacity Ratio
    43 Open 3200 3.08
    41 Open 3200 3.27
    42 Open 4.10
    46 Open 3.73
    45 Open 3200 3.55
    D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
    D2 Limited Slip 4.10
    L73 Limited Slip 3.73
    L - Limited Slip Differential
    C - Conventional Differential

As copied directly from the JU website, you are correct it is possible for the 8.8 to have 3.55s though all I have ever seen is 3.73 and 4.10 (must be the most common?).

• I didn't mean it came stock in 3.55 (although it is good to know that it was possible) I just meant that if they re-geared (which the almost certainly had to) they could theoretically have picked either side to re-gear. If they picked the 8.8 side to re-gear, then I'm in much better shape :)

• So, interestingly enough, both my donor and my existing axles had 3.55 gears. Which is very interesting because I have a Ford 8.8 in the rear. So either the previous owner brought the 8.8 down to 3.55, or simply went with unmatched gears.

Anywho, after some serious struggles getting my diff cover off due to seized bolts, we were able to move the Aussie locker from the broken axle to the donor axle.

Major thanks to everyone who came over last night and helped out!
    Copesetic, Whatevah, ATRock, Subvet, & Max

Madman Max welding my currie LCA skids on:

Finished product:

My axle-less jeep waiting for it's bionic arm. I mean axle :

• not a true wrenching session unless there is beer on the bumper all i see is red bull and pepsi <--(YUCK)

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• not a true wrenching session unless there is beer on the bumper all i see is red bull and pepsi <--(YUCK)

If we had been doing a minor operation I would have agreed with you. However we were pretty much working full out from 6pm - 12pm. Beer was avail but nobody was interested. I know myself I was running on caffeine by the end, beer would not have helped :)

dude where in newark do you live that neighborhood looks familiar

Devon Binns, but it probably looks just like alot of neighborhoods in/around newark

• If we had been doing a minor operation I would have agreed with you. However we were pretty much working full out from 6pm - 12pm. Beer was avail but nobody was interested. I know myself I was running on caffeine by the end, beer would not have helped :)

Boo friggin' hoo Nancy, take the skirt off. Now get in the kitchen and get me a beer, the men are thirsty.

:safeyet

• Boo friggin' hoo Nancy, take the skirt off. Now get in the kitchen and get me a beer, the men are thirsty.

May your tire deflators break, causing your tires to completely drain, leaving you at the starting line like a jackass on saturday.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!