Busted skidplate bolts

• Two bolts on the drivers side of my Transfer Case skid plate are busted off in the frame and the third's captive nut in the frame is stripped. :bang: What's the best way to fix this issue? Obviously get the offending bolts out, but should I bolt all the way through the frame (on top) or drill access holes in the side to replace the welded in nuts?

Joe

• Drill through the frame and put a larger washer and nut on top of the frame. I have a long drill bit that I used if you need to borrow it. I wouldn't bother fishing the broken bolt out of the frame. It's not hurting anything staying inside.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Welding upside down is a pain in the ass for most people. Another option would be to drill the center of the broken bolt out (leaving it in the nutsert) and then tapping the hole. That can be a bit tricky.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• all my bolts were either busted or the nuts welded from the frame rotted and need replaced... i drilled all of the holes and went through the entire frame rail and used 7in class 5 bolts to hold the skid plate... it is very strong and i have never had any problums... but drilling upside down is hell... i used a jack on my drill and used that to apply pressure to drill... it worked fine as long as its stright.... ill post pix later if u want

good luck

cj

• My skid plate stuck out beyond the frame so we welded angle iron to the frame and just bolted to it. It is now easier to install and remove. It has been wheeled hard and haven't had any issues with this set up.

• Mines been tweaked on a few rocks so I always have to pry it over ¼" this way and a ¼" that way to get the holes to line up.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!