YJ gas gauge gone wacky?

• hey everyone, got a question for ya...... i recently visited my long time pal in jersey who has held onto his 89 silver YJ....loves it too much to get rid of it. I had a 94 YJ as well, but had to sell it a few years later. During my recent trip to see my buddy, we took his YJ out of retirement and took it out for a ride. I noticed his gas gauge was going nuts.... going back and forth violently. I had remembered it doing it before and also doing in my old YJ right before i got rid of it. Anyone else have this same issue with their old wrangler????

thanks for reading

ben

• I found this on the JU CJ forum. I KNOW...a CJ is not a YJ. But it might help. Anyway, it's good info.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845750

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• wow, i read that info... great information!!! It seems that this topic is just one of the few shared jeep mysteries, espeically with the YJ. thanks for the link!!! Luckily i ditched my old 94 wrangler before it had too many problems... it started with a pretty nasty valve tap, once that started i sold it and made the mistake of buying a car instead of another jeep. Luckily now i have an 03 TJ that is a constant work in progress. I havnt seen any problem so far with the gas gauge in my jeep so far so hopefully it wont act up.

Heres another weird thing.... anybody have an odd noise from their vents when they turn on/off their jeep after using the ac/heat/etc??? I think all jeeps do this!!! :driving:

• ...you mean besides the angry squirrel trapped inside?

What type of noise?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I believe vents are vacuum controlled. I may be wrong about. But if they are that noise could just be a bad vacuum hose. The gas gauge issue sounds like a ground, either a sending unit ground or a gauge ground.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!