Problems with Sports Car Tire

• Let me start by saying that I'm usually a believer in the "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything" but these guys have really gotten under my skin.

I had 33x12.50 MTR's mounted on 15x10's about a year ago by the guys up at Sports Car Tire. They told me that only way to ge them balanced properly was to put this "stuff" inside the tire as opposed to using weights. They were nice enough and seemed like they had a clue so I went with it. The tires were kinda loud and I had a little shake in the steering wheel when moving anywhere above 35-40 mph so I asked them about it and they told me that it's the price to pay for running larger tires. That being said I just moved on since I have no prior experience with this. AT my first tire rotation I found that they spun one of the lug nut on crooked and I had to twist off the stem to get the tire off. I called them and they said it wasn't them, they don't make mistakes like that. Still, no big deal wasn't expensive or anything, I just had it fixed and moved on. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the tread on my front tires was wearing uneven (center tread, every other one was wearing faster). I took it to Everest Auto in Newark for them to look at it and they came back and said my tires were way out of wack, ended up taking all 5 tires off the rim, cleaning that crap out of them that Sports Car tire put in, and re-mounting and weight balancing them. (2 had to be replaced because the tread wear was so screwed up).

The Jeep has never run as quiet or as smooth as it did when I got it back. Here I thought 33's = crappy ride but apparently that's not the case.

Rookie mistake I guess but I feel like Sports Car tire lead me in the wrong direction. ok, I'm done complaining

• fwiw, using the sand/whatever inside the tires is a valid way to balance large tires, easier and more reliable than sticky/clip weights if done correctly (too much powder is ok, not enough isnt ok). a lot of guys with hard to balance tires are starting to use airsoft bbs for balancing, I'll be using them when I go up to 33s.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I run 35's on Centramatic Balancers and couldn't love them more. Absolutely no shake. I still have the traditional hammer on weights but if one falls off the centramatics even it out. :up:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I am debating on dumping the weights and using the beads. Everytime I go out I come home with at least one missing weight.

• just some food for thought but a bunch of guys with 37's tried running the weight powder or bb's and i pretty sure all of them pulled the stuff out of the tires and went back to the traditional weights.

jerry why would you got to the stuff when you are only running 33's? the will balance out fine.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• I put about 9,000 miles on them and rotated every oil change (3k). Also, I'm sure they could be balanced properly using something otehr than weights, I'm just saying that whoever did them at Sports CAr tire didn't do them right and then didn't want to hear it when I questioned them about anything.

Maybe ATROCK on here can chime in as to what they used in my tire. (He works at Everest and up fixing things for me). All I heard was third hand from the owner of everest that they pulled this goop out of them after they couldn't get them to come close to balancing..........................

On a lighter note, I actually kinda miss the some of the noise that stuff added to my tires spin. Wife said it's the first time she didn't here me coming up the street in a year...............

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!