speedo gears

• If i put new speedo gears in will it affect my gas mileage? I am currently running 33s with 4" of lift and 3:73s soon to be 4:56s. If so what speedo gear tooth number do i need?

• well, no but yes.... if that makes sense.
    if the speedo gear u have now is off, then your odometer is off also, therefore changing the mileage u THINK u are getting. so, changing the gear will give u an accurate mileage reading. but not really giving u better or worse mileage.

• dont follow the chart on quadratec...its not accurate. check other places online...i forget who i used but quadratec was off by a tooth or 2

• dont follow the chart on quadratec...its not accurate. check other places online...i forget who i used but quadratec was off by a tooth or 2

I bumped it against what 4WD magazine has for there chart. They are the same. So.....either they are both wrong, or maybe you didn't do it right :shrug: If you find a different place let me know, I am looking at getting bigger tires with in the next few months.

• they may have finally updated it. i used this one from raingler..it was dead on with my GPS

looks like quad updated their chart...sorry for the confusion

TJ Speedo Gear Chart

R&P / Tire 38" 37" 36" 35" 33" 32" 31" 30"
    5.13 .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    4.88 36 37 38 39 41 43 44 46
    4.56 34 35 36 37 39 40 42 43
    4.11 31 32 33 34 36 37 38 40
    3.73 27 28 28 29 31 32 33 34

• No, I am in MRM class till Wed. Funnnnn :down: Thanks thou. I will have to look sometime. I just crawled under and can't find any numbers.

Should be a metal tag on the diff with the gear ratio on it.

The rear right ??? :shrug:

• look closely around the diff cover on either axle. you'll most likely see a small sheet-metal tag affixed by one or two of the cover bolts. on this metal tag will be a whole jumble of letters and numbers...sometimes two lines worth. at the very end of all the stamped numbers you'll find the final 3 digits - usually a single digit, a small space, and then the following two digits. for example, you may see "3 07" or "3 73" as the last three digits. there are lots of variations that go into the final gearing at the factory - either tire packages, axle packages, engine sizes, transmissions, options packages, even special orders.

• ahhhh lucky..haha i crawled under mine a few months ago to put the locker in and found out that i had 3.07's...and im running 33's right now..im gonna have to upgrade the gears if not the axles because jeep likes to bog on big hills or when i punch it..its a good thing you have 3.73's because when you go to eventually get a lift and bigger tires you can upgrade your gears without changing the carrier

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!