Death Wobble cause finally found from JFJ

• The family and I had a great time at Saturday's Jeeps for Joy event at Rausch Creek. I decided to keep it easy on the trails due to having my son and the misses out with me, so we stayed on green and a few blue trails lead by Jerry.
    By mid-day, there was an occassional noise, clank-clank-clank, metal to metal heard when the front end was under stress....hillclimbs, over larger rocks and stumps. I gave cause to the front locker, but with question. The steering remained tight, tracking straight, and on a few occassions other club members and I had peeked underneath for a minute or two but failed to find anything wrong.
    At the end of the day after the raffle we leave, and just before RT81 entrance ramp I'm going about 45 mph and suddenly get a violent death wobble. In the process of slowing down the death wobble goes completely away, and we safely make it to the shoulder. I climb under the TJ and everythings tight and in alignment, UJoints good, no bent tierod, draglink or tracbar.
    This death wobble incident repeated anytime I got over 40 mph. So we made the trip back home doing 30-35 mph in the shoulder and right hand lane with our hazard lights on. To add to the jeeps issues we suffered one flat tire from being on the shoulder. The usual 1.5 hour trip took us 4 hours.

Here's the report of what I find today....
    There is a small dent, 1/4 of dime size,in the steering stabilizer. This dent is leaking VERY slowly. I'm guessing I missed this due to the caked on mud and water that was already there.
    The dent in the SS was caused by the back of bolt where the draglink and tierod connect. I think the shuttering in the gas pedal I felt and several of us heard on Saturday was from this rubbing.

And there's more....normally the bolt gives clearence, right?? Mine does not allow for this clearence cause the bracket for the passenger side lower swaybar link and the tierod bracket are slightly bent toward the drivers side.
    I guess I came down on the brackets at some point in the day.

Do I now purchase new brackets and have them welded in place, or heat'em up and put them back where they were?
    What would you guys do?

I did check the unit bearings and there is NO movement. The TRE's are good. Everything else is Torqued to specs from the FSM.

Its amazing what washing away some dirt can do in finding the problems.

My front axle is a High Pinion D30 with 4.56s and a locker.

• I stopped for someone on the shoulder. Was that you? I was in the green TJ.
    That problem was actually bugging me this weekend so I am glad you posted this up. (If it was you.)

One thing that might help is a drop pitman arm. IIRC you had some lift with a stock pitman. The drop might help line the drag link up better. Just a thought.

• but then it will cause bump steer is the track bar isn't moved... the contact is most likely caused by a bent drag-link.. you may not even notice it... but that is most definetly not the source of your death wobble... check then recheck the track-bar I have found that 90% of death wobble is related to track-bar issues...

• I stopped for someone on the shoulder. Was that you? I was in the green TJ.
    That problem was actually bugging me this weekend so I am glad you posted this up. (If it was you.)

One thing that might help is a drop pitman arm. IIRC you had some lift with a stock pitman. The drop might help line the drag link up better. Just a thought.

Yep, that was us in the black lifted TJ! Thanks for stopping. :peace:

• but then it will cause bump steer is the track bar isn't moved... the contact is most likely caused by a bent drag-link.. you may not even notice it... but that is most definetly not the source of your death wobble... check then recheck the track-bar I have found that 90% of death wobble is related to track-bar issues...

I've had the RE 3.5" lift on the TJ for about 3 yrs now without any issues wheeling or while on the road. This is the first suspension damage I've suffered....body damage I have. :doh:
    I can see the back side of that bolt grind into the steering stabilizer when the wheel is pulled hard to the side. I know those brackets are bent cause I can't remove my lower swaybar link on the passenger side.

• That noise I heard wasn't from a steering stabilizer.

You don't think it was from the metal of the bolt grinding against the metal of the steering stabilizer tube? :shrug:
    There are wear marks in the tube that definately weren't there before the days ride. I was just under there Friday lubing everything up, changed the oil, diff fluids, rotated the tires, etc.

Any idea of what the sound may have been?? ???

• Johnny wish I could help but I know nothing of coils. I am glad you got home safe and we got together soon. I am in middletown de now...
    by the way this is Z

• Johnny wish I could help but I know nothing of coils. I am glad you got home safe and we got together soon. I am in middletown de now...
    by the way this is Z

Whats up Z??
    Do you still have the same cell? I'll have to give ya a call...we'll have to get together. I still haven't seen the family in awhile.

• I got the same cell johnny. Let me know bro we deff got together. I will be in the west minster area soon I will let you know when.. Maybe we could meet for drinks and some grub.

9% of the rest are due to allignment issues.

GET IT PROFESSIONALLY ALLIGNED BEFORE YOU REPLACE ANYTHING!!!!!!!

• 9% of the rest are due to allignment issues.

GET IT PROFESSIONALLY ALLIGNED BEFORE YOU REPLACE ANYTHING!!!!!!!

Scheduled to drop off the TJ Friday at the shop. Will have the tires rebalanced and alignment done.
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!