YJ tow hooks

• I guess I have to pull off the plastic cover with "Jeep" on it to install front tow hooks? How about the rear tow hook, what's the normal location for a rear hook on a YJ?

DrJ

• On the front of your yj, you should be able to mount recovery hooks on either side of the plastic cover. A set from pepboys should work.
    'Bout the rear one while I'm sure about a yj, A factory tj's rear hook is mounted of course on the frame on the driverside.I don't think yj's came w/ any rear hooks from the factory.I could be wrong though. Sure one of current yj owmers will chime in if I am wrong.
    Best bet for a rear hook would be a hitch. It will give you more options like the capability to have a rear winch if you wanted or tow of course not to mention carry more gear w/ a basket. You could just plug a reciever in the hitch with a 3/4 shackle on it, that will get the job done.
    If you are interested I have a book you should check out [if you don't have it] It's called The Standard Catolog of Jeep from 1940-2003.
    Let me know if want to tale a look at it.

• Quote from "DrJ"

I guess I have to pull off the plastic cover with "Jeep" on it to install front tow hooks? How about the rear tow hook, what's the normal location for a rear hook on a YJ?

DrJ

You don't have to remove the front frame cover. (for aesthetics sake). When I first did mine I just put them (hooks) on right over top of the cover. As for the rear you can do the receiver thing or mount something to the frame rail. I believe Joe(bbd) mounted a rear hook on the frame of his yj.

• The "OEM" hooks Q-tec sells show three holes and say "no drilling". I guess I'm using two of those holes. The first is the roundhead torx bolt visible now. Is there a hole under that cover, or another bolt? You drilled a hole in the plastic cover? I'm going to Central Tractor this morning to get them.

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

I guess I'm using two of those holes. The first is the roundhead torx bolt visible now. Is there a hole under that cover, or another bolt? You drilled a hole in the plastic cover?

DrJ

Correct. You're not as dumb as BBD looks!! :laughing: (j/k Joe:)) Pull the plastic off to expose your other mounting location. You'll only use 2 holes. Mark the frame cover and drill 'er out. :)

• This is so much fun... my wife got worried when I got the drill out and walked toward the KJ. Now it doesn't matter! Cheap Jeeps RULE!

DrJ

• Quote from "DrJ"

This is so much fun... my wife got worried when I got the drill out and walked toward the KJ. Now it doesn't matter! Cheap Jeeps RULE!

DrJ

I sure hope you keep the positive attiude

when you decide to do a body lift you may be drilling out
    some broken bolts.
    Keep saying to your self. My Jeep will be big one day. :laughing:

Quote from "Chuck"

Correct. You're not as dumb as BBD looks!!

I'll have you know it has taken me several years to develop that "Look"
    It keeps people of guard. :rollsmile:

• Everyone is just jealous cause my tow hook is bigger. :rasp:

I need to make a new bumper-sticker

[size=18px]TOW HOOK ENVY [/size]

:laughing: :jester:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!