YJ rear hatch on a CJ

• I have a YJ hardtop and as everyone knows the rear window won't work with the drop tailgate. So can i just modify the back window or does anyone have another suggestion?

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• I think they are different but check the hinges/gate measurements on both hardtops and you may be able to put a CJ lift gate on the YJ hardtop. I don't think it will work but I have a CJ liftgate with window you can have if it does. Some aftermarket tops you may be able to switch parts on, not sure which one you have. I have a CJ hardtop if you need measurements.

You could put a crappy YJ tailgate/hinges on but the CJ one is much better.

• You could put a crappy YJ tailgate/hinges on but the CJ one is much better.

but if for some reason you are thinking about doing this....i am looking for a CJ tailgate for my YJ...id be willing to swap

• You can mod the CJ tailgate so it can be locked and unlocked with small handles from the outside. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Hey guys, this tub i have on the CJ is from a YJ so i already welded all the holes and made the CJ tailgate setup and installed it. Sooooooo, there is no way i'm going back to an ugly YJ gate.

MellowYellow, i have another CJ tailgate at the shop in blue. Make an offer or trade something?

So, maybe i'll just look at it and pull out my fiberglass skills and cut the lip and patch it up.

• Got pics of the CJ top? This top i got is in good condition and i'd hate to downgrade.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!