new "upgrade"... JUNK!!

• My how plans change...I was doing some serious thinking today about the direction I wanted to go since I'd decided to get rid of the recently purchased YJ and the direction that I was headed basically would just turn the MJ into a SWB with some questionable legality with the frame mods and "truggy" rear that I was considering. I thought about bringing back my CJ but not much of what I currently have is transferrable plus as much as I hate to admit it I'm kinda fond of the coil's, some of the luxuries afforded by the newer jeeps, and an already sorted injected driveline. Paul got me in trouble by showing me a couple rigs on autotrader and to make a long story short it looks like I will be going to look at and possibly purchase a TJ this weekend. The one I'm looking at is a '97 4.0/5spd w/ 112K with a newly installed rough county 4" lift, 33's, a new bestop, and F/R Warn bumpers. Stock axles/gears but it will get the D44/D30 out of the MJ w/ the 4.56s and Ox's...along with the winch and some of the odds and ends. Anything I should be aware of when looking into TJ's?? I was a CJ guy that jumped to XJ/MJ's...I know the coil suspension and the drivetrain but beyond that a TJ is pretty foreign to me.

--Ian

• Quote from "clendaniel"

...to make a long story short it looks like I will be going to look at and possibly purchase a TJ this weekend.

:vader: another convert to the dark side! :vader:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

• ian,
    other than the normal bugs, tsp's, and such customary with a new model year i'd say you're okay. i've heard (heard...no firsthand knowledge) that they have more wiring problems than later models though. maybe catch up with jeepsahara - his '97 has been through the thick of it and is still running strong.
    chris - oh, and welcome :grin:

• BTW here's a pic...I've got a couple more high-res ones, the only problems on the body are a couple dents on the front fenders...I bet they'll be worse than that after I subject them to a couple paragon/RC trips :rolleyes:

--Ian

• nice looking jeep Ian... when i was in the maket eveyone told me to steer claer of the 97's. i guess some of em had issue's but it sounds like your gonna swap out the axles anyway..

good luck..........

• Wow Ian, this comes as a shocker to me.!!! A good one of course. Welcome to the TJ world. I have been very happy with my '97 but there were a couple things that I have had issues with. The haunted exhaust manifold, my catalytic converter went at 78,000 miles just prior to the end of its 8/80,000 warrenty, the fuel sending unit which was also covered under the TSB. I'm sure I'll think of other things I'll think of. Other than the typical odds and ends of Jeeps, its like any others.

Like Andrew said, Welcome to the dark side.

-Chris

• Congrats Ian and welcome to the other side. I hear the 97 had a hard starting problem but thats all i know. Let me know if you want someone to go get it with you. Im free. Also cant wait to take the yj off your hands.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• :hmm: .....................................
    :shrug:

and now the fun is gone I will have to look for another to allow be to chop on there vehicle and flat bed

no fear I am sure doctor frankenstein will find yet another donor... muhahahahahha

• Quote from "Da Mutt"

:shrug: and now the fun is gone I will have to look for another to allow be to chop on there vehicle and flat bed

no fear I am sure doctor frankenstein will find yet another donor... muhahahahahha

Shame the MJ sounded like it would make a sweet flat bed.

• Quote from "BBD"

Shame the MJ sounded like it would make a sweet flat bed.

Still could be for anyone that wants to undertake the project...I've got stock axles to put under it and besides the skids and the front bumper/winch I'd be willing to sell for pretty cheap. Of course all of this depends on the TJ being worth the $$.

--Ian

• my g/f happened to stumble upon a 74 CJ5 down in Georgetown for $350. yes thats not a typo.... $350. it has the striaght 6 which I think is the 255 :question: body is rough but not ate out totally. new radiator and battery. maybe this could make a good trail vehicle??

1989Cherokee

• JUNK...that's right. Damned lousy sellers not disclosing the whole story. Ed and I took the trip up to look at the TJ today only to find a real POS. The seller failed to mention the multitude of dents, rust, and scrapes despite me specifically asking about the condition of the body. After looking at the wreck of a body it was amusing to see the beat up skids and obvious abuse the undercarriage had seen. Needless to say we didn't hang around...I'll be passing on that one. I've got a lead on a couple others...2 whites ( 97 and 98 ) and a yellow (01), all three are clean stockers. We'll see...

--Ian

• Quote from "jwalk"

Never trust anyone that armour all's there mudders! hehe

Heh...the amusing part is that the pictures that he sent concealed the damage. More than a little disappointing...

--Ian

• Wow, sorry to hear that Ian. Glad you took a look at it before getting any money involved. Good luck on the other leads.

-Chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!