TJ Steering Heavy duty?

• My steering has been pretty wacked out since my last wheeling trip. My draglink is bent and rubbing on the steering stablilizer causing a large dent to form in the bottom of the stabilizer when i flex. Anyway I was looking for new steering options. Anyone know of any complete setups that include the tie rod and the drag link. Rustys has one but it says someting about the tie rod running from knuckle to knuckle instead of knuckle to draglink. Is there any benefit to that. Any info would be appreciated.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Ed, I've been doing a little research on different steering setups (along with Andrew, Ian, and Turtle). The ORO and TBT setups are really nice but really, really expensive. The big seller is the tierod goes knuckle to knuckle, which not only gives the steering a better geometry but also keeps your alignment a lot better. Plus the entire system is a ton stronger with the crossover factor.

HTH with your research and decision, let us know what you go with.

-Chris

• yeah, it's sort of pricey. still cheaper than the TBT alumiflex system. i think that's the best one going as far as design - but the price is so insane. i've been kicking around every design around....from the uturn, to curries, to TBT, to PSC's,......but it still comes down to how much you want to spend on your axle - or rather, will you being comfortable with that axle for a long time to come? i want to make my steering better, stronger, and more responsive - but see myself swapping the axle out in the future sometime. hard to spend all that cash on a system that may or may not swap to a new axle. so - you sort of have to break it down into full-length tierod kits vs. OEM style "Y" designs. most of the "Y" designs utilize components that'll swap to any axle...or will at least be resale capable if/when you upgrade your axle. if you go with some of the more extreme systems then it's pretty much just locked you into that axle and that axle only.
    sucks thinking so hard this late in my day :(
    chris

• The "cheapest" ways to go is rusty's or rockkrawler, they both offer knuckle to knuckle tie-rod conversions for around $300.00. ORO, TBT and down east are different animals all together in that they seperate the tie rod and draglink at the knuckle. The cheapest way is a DIY which involves buying one ton blazer TRE's for the tie-rod and drag link and building you own knuckle to knuckle system. You can get away doing that for about $100.00. THe only real catch is finding a taper reamer to ream the knuckles to accept a one ton TRE.

• Thanks Guys...Im not looking to go high steer and spend all kinds of cash i just want something a little beefier and to fix my steering. Im thinking about rustys or rockkrawler like turtle said. Anyone seen either of these used or know anyone with them?

• I can build you the do it your self version and a spare for the cost of a store bought set up. Quality parts. dom tube ect. I would have to borrow a reamer from a buddy though. If your set up decent for tools (welder ect) Its pretty simple to make all the parts are in a catalog.

• Im thinking about it. Im going to talk to my dad and see if he has a reamer, if not i might take you up on the offer. What exactly does the reamer look like and is there a certain size?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!