• I was reading through a 4 wheel drive magazine the other day and i came across an article on propane conversion. since im building my cj5 i have been throwing around the idea of running propane. I know some good and bad things about it, does anyone know where to find the kit for a 304 v8 engine?

• Go to CJOffroad.com and do a search on Propane Conversion. The guy who did it went by the name of Mudshowman. Here is one of the posts which I think has most of the information:

[url=http://www.cjoffroad.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3026&SearchTerms=Propane,Conversion]http://www.cjoffroad.com/forum…hTerms=Propane,Conversion[/url]

As I recall, he peiced his together for a few hundred dollars. It was not a kit.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• my brother-in law pieced one together for his CJ7. it is to the point that it runs but the engine needed rebuilt, therefore it will not run correctly due to blowby. he pieced it together for a couple hundred bucks and about a year on ebay looking for the right mixer, carb, ect. not a bad setup.

• I have actually been researching this...

http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html#JEEP

Is the setup I would use, here is the main drawbacks...

Propane is not significantly cheaper than gasoline.
    Propane will give you 10-15% lower fuel economy
    Propane Is difficult to find. There are only 3-4 in delaware and they do not discount at all. So when LP is listed at $2.00 per/gal, the filling stations are like $2.90. Plus you can only get fuel m-f 8-5.
    If you buy grill bottles for emergency, its like $5+ per gallon

All in all I still want to do it, but the availability of fill stations is a main stumbing block
    Would be fun to go through emissions and get a perfect score!

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Don't you need higher compression to get an equal BANG out of propane?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• from what i've read and heard propane is about 106-110 octane so a higher compression would benifit more, but i also heard there are things in gasoline that the engine needs that propane doesnt have hence the duel fuel setup. run gas until you get to an off camber obsticle, switch to propane, hang on. propane would also allow your engine to run when you upside down, but you'll have oiling problems by then

as said this is all what i read heard as i done some research in it myself and im sure there are things im forgetting

• from what i've read and heard propane is about 106-110 octane so a higher compression would benifit more, but i also heard there are things in gasoline that the engine needs that propane doesnt have hence the duel fuel setup. run gas until you get to an off camber obsticle, switch to propane, hang on. propane would also allow your engine to run when you upside down, but you'll have oiling problems by then

as said this is all what i read heard as i done some research in it myself and im sure there are things im forgetting

Propane has an octane rating???

CH4....... Methane
    C2H6..... Ethane
    C3H8...... Propane
    C4H10.... Butane
    C5H12.... Pentane
    C6H14.... Hexane
    C7H16.... Septane (or Heptane)
    C8H18....Octane
    C9H20.... Nonane
    C10H22.. Decane

• Glad you posted that. I thought that rating was for the octane present in fuel. Wikipedia has octane rating as not referring to actual octane, but as of a level of autoignition resistance or anti-knock rating.

Learn something new everyday

Google "octane propane".

• Not sure you would miss anything that gasoline brings to the table. The additives in gas are to protect the engine from the gasoline, the engine doesn't inherently need them. Actually your engine will burn so clean, no carbon build up, no oil contamination. In fact you can get away with changing oil every 35-40k. Just keep adding. One thing that i have heard is that your exhaust might die faster as more water vapor can accumulate.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• yea i keep finding more and more about it. it wasnt even an option until i was reading the magazine, but from what i have been finding its either piece something together, or just buy the kit that will include everything you need. The main reason i would like to do the dual is because of the main downfall to propane is the availability. so the gasoline will most likely never be ran, it is just included in the kit.

• Propane has an octane rating???

i meant equalvilant

Actually your engine will burn so clean, no carbon build up, no oil contamination. In fact you can get away with changing oil every 35-40k.

true but wouldnt the oil still breakdown after 3000 it might look clean but it might not have any viscosity left. 35-40k is a long time

true but wouldnt the oil still breakdown after 3000 it might look clean but it might not have any viscosity left. 35-40k is a long time

The main reason that your oil brakes down is the contaminants. The viscosity should remain fine for a long time. How often do you replace ATF or trnas fluid ? Also , I dont really buy the 3000mile rule, 5k is fine in my book. Go by the manual.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!