Fog lamp bulb help!

• I need helping replacing a bulb on my fog light. Here's the deal...I have a 98 TJ with factory fog lights. While replacing my bumper I believe I must have bumped the light and broken the bulb. I've gotten to the point where I've removed the silver metal bulb holder from the clip on the back of the lamp housing. (This silver bulb holder has a white wire lead.) The bulb itself is very small and has a sort of fuse style base -- two thin and flat prongs. I just can't dislodge the bulb from the metal holder. I've pulled on it so hard that I'm afraid I'm going to break the bulb and cut my fingers. There does seem to be two tiny little clips on each side of the holder, but I can't get them to release or even move.

So, you Jeep wizards, what's the deal here?

p.s. Should I use this opportunity to upgrade to some other type of bulb? Tungsten? Halogen? Inquiring minds want to know...

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Keith_C, you're right on the money as with the picture you posted. So you're saying that's all one piece -- bulb, holder and wire?

• Keith_C, you're right on the money as with the picture you posted. So you're saying that's all one piece -- bulb, holder and wire?

Right, and that is a Halogen bulb.

Be careful not to touch the new bulb with your fingers. Skin oil will cause it to fail prematurely.

• Thanks!! Mystery solved...one final related question....do you happen to know if this can be purchased at my friendly neighborhood auto parts store, or must I go to the Jeep dealer? I'm guessing it's a little pricey.

• Thanks!! Mystery solved...one final related question....do you happen to know if this can be purchased at my friendly neighborhood auto parts store, or must I go to the Jeep dealer? I'm guessing it's a little pricey.

Even Walmart will probably have them.

Certainly AutoZone or the like.

• Epilogue: I went to Walmart after work today. Lo and behold, they had H3 bulbs! Keith_C, thanks for the tip! Not knowing the difference, I first picked up a bulb that cost $18.49. With someone's help, I settled on a "non-Silverstar" bulb that cost $4.96. (It's a sad day when you have to apply for an equity loan to buy a light bulb.)

To tell you the truth, for $20 you can get some pretty cool looking fog lights or driving lamps -- the halogen bulbs, housing, wiring, kit and kabootle. So I'm now wondering why so many people drive around with the plain ol' factory fog lights. I think the next time I blow a bulb, that's the route I'm going to take.
    :driving:

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• THat's how mine were wired . On the stock wireing with the stock switch .
    Diffusers removed from the fog lamp assembly .
    Silverstar tho pricey are IMO brighter than 100w bulbs
    That was one of the first thing I did to mine .
    They were installed for about 3 years +/- a few months .
    No issues and all that with the fog light relay mod ,
    So the fogs stay on with the highbeams

• To tell you the truth, for $20 you can get some pretty cool looking fog lights or driving lamps -- the halogen bulbs, housing, wiring, kit and kabootle. So I'm now wondering why so many people drive around with the plain ol' factory fog lights. I think the next time I blow a bulb, that's the route I'm going to take.
    :driving:

I will take the "plain ol' factory fog lights" off your hands when you go that route.

• cody burnt up his headlight wires in the steering column....he was running higher watt headlights. I was the one who replaced that harness...

• Which headlight system ?

do you mean which headlights did he have installed? That I dont remember, I just know that the harness had melted at the highbeam pin and the low beam pin had signs of heat damage.

• Captain, that'll be fine. Not sure when that will happen though. Thanks to everyone for their good input on this topic.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!