Rhino-liner / Line-X / SuperLiner / etc

• I'm pretty close to having my fender flares and side steps sprayed with one of those pickup truck bedliner products. Just bought the side steps used, and they're pretty beat. First comes JB Weld.

I'm specifically looking at one called Superliner, which is a competitor of Rhino-liner, Herculiner, etc. The guy is in north Dover near Cheswold. I was quoted $150 (if I don't mind waiting a bit). I saw one DEJA rig at the Jeeps for Joy in December with the flares sprayed, and I thought it looked good. Does anyone have experience with these products? Is there one to avoid? Big question: Is the do-it-yourself product version that you see at your local auto parts store as good as the professionally sprayed version? :shrug: It's about half the price. Jim

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• If your just looking to make your flares black again use a $10 heat gun from Harbour Freight. Takes about 10 minutes per flare but you can do it while there on the jeep and they last about 6 months. Also you can reshape the flares with it too if they get wacked out. I've thought about doing my flares in Line X but I'm not sold that it won't peel off yet. I've talked to 3 or 4 places and some places won't do them because they say they will peel and others (who want my money) say sure it'll stick bring them in.

As for the coatings themselves. I prefer Line X but that's just an opinion as I have no personal experience with the others. :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• If your just looking to make your flares black again use a $10 heat gun from Harbour Freight. Takes about 10 minutes per flare but you can do it while there on the jeep and they last about 6 months.

i tried this on my bushwackers a week or two ago - no change. must be a different plastic (definitely more rigid/brittle than OEM) that won't darken when you heat it. they have lightened considerably over the years...but i've really done nothing to prevent it either.

• I have a two-fold purpose in going this route. First, I asusme these coatings will help hide any minor blemishes. Second, and probably more important, I think this will tie these different elements together. As of 24 hours ago, I was just going to do the fender flares and the side steps. But last night I took off that little OEM plastic piece that goes in front of the doors and behind the front fender flares. It's sort of like a little rock/splash guard. Well, now I have three little holes on each side of the jeep where the damn things were fastened. So, not only am I going to do those other two pieces, but now I'm going to also do about four inches of my rocker panel -- basically down below the doors going from fender flare to fender flare. Jim

• When I did my frame off restoration I sprayed the entire frame with Rhino liner. It looked good and has lasted 6 years so far and my jeep spends most of it's time on the beach.
    FYI.

• That's a pretty good testimony. I imagine it gets a lot of intense sun on the beach. Being a cheapskate, I'm tempted to go the do-it-yourself route, but something tells me that wouldn't be the same.

• You'll never get a Line X type look with do it yourself. If it wasn't on the outside of your jeep where everybody would see it I'd say go for it but with what you want to do make sure you get a Line X equivalent (hot sprayed so it attaches to the plastic) and a UV guard in it. If not it will fade just like your flares now. :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I'm specifically looking at one called Superliner, which is a competitor of Rhino-liner, Herculiner, etc. The guy is in north Dover near Cheswold. I was quoted $150 (if I don't mind waiting a bit).

Wolverine, thanks. So, any thoughts on the price quote for what I described? I imagine he'll do the rocker panel (about 4-5 inch wide strip) for another $50 or so.

• Wolverine, thanks. So, any thoughts on the price quote for what I described? I imagine he'll do the rocker panel (about 4-5 inch wide strip) for another $50 or so.

I cant speak as for price but lots of guys have done the interior of their jeeps for less IIRC.

That's a pretty good testimony. I imagine it gets a lot of intense sun on the beach. Being a cheapskate, I'm tempted to go the do-it-yourself route, but something tells me that wouldn't be the same.

As for the rocker panels is this what you are after ???

• I had the interior of my '05 LJ sprayed with Line-X. It was done by the guy in the Dover Business park. Where the ballet class is, halloween store, and the karate place.

Address is 1053 Barl Ct
    Dover, DE
    302-672-7005

I took out the seats, seat belts, roll bar pads, etc. I drove to there from Clayton in the early morning on a milk crate and got stopped by a statie. That sucked. 275$ ticket. But the finish turned out great.

• Hot sprayed, cured that day. $550 for the interior, never chipped, flaked, or faded with all the days topless.

• Surfrider, yes that's what I'm talking about -- except not quite so wide of a strip that it reaches all the way to the bottom of the door. So the total package would be the fender flares, side steps, and that.

I'm not certain, but I don't think this is the same guy who used to be at the Tudor Industrial Park. This guy used to be just down the road on Horsepond Road, but he just moved his operation to Cheswold on U.S. 13, right next to Shooter's Choice. I'm pretty sure his product is called Superliner.

• I herc'd my bumpers and they faded right away. They went from a gloss black to almost a flat grey. Really looked like s#@t. I had to rattlecan them. Anyway, if you compare the material that other companies use, the Line-X stuff really stands out. Plus anything sprayed on hot and at high pressure is going to get into all the little nooks and crannies and protect against rust much better than the low pressure or roll-on applications.

• I just coated my entire xj inside and outside with duraliner and seems to be great against anything. Plus it only cost me about 150 of materials and 5hrs. I will put up a pic if you want.

• Truck's unlimited in Middletown does extreme liner which I've heard good things about but no personal experience. His name is Will and he posted some info up in the services forum on here. Just another option to check out.....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!