bestop tire carrier..and other opinions

• has anyone had bestop's oversize tire carrier that bolts to the body/tailgate? i am looking for options to mount the 33 on my YJ and dont want to spend a massive about on a new bumper/swing away.

other opinions would be nice too. going to temp use the factory carrier with spacer until i find another option.

thanks

• i've personally had some bad experiences with to much weight on the tailgate... i ran and over sized tire and a bike rack (both at seperate times) and it bent the crap out of my hinges and rear quarter panel.. i would rather save the money and get a full bumper set up... just my 2 cents..

95&#039; YJ stock springs. SOA ,8.8 w/disks and 35&#039;s<br />DD 2008 Grand Cherokee

Edited once, last by HUMAT14 ().

• i've personally had some bad experiences with to much weight on the tailgate... i ran and over sized tire and a bike rack (both at seperate times) and it bent the crap out of my hinges and rear quarter panel.. i would rather save the money and get a full bumper set up... just my 2 cents..

it utilizes braces and brackets from in the tub/rollbar area to distribute the weight. keith_c has one on his tj and from what i can tell it works very well. maybe he'll be able to chime in later.

• I've been very happy with my Bestop.

I also use it to carry my Hi-Lift.

I had to modify one of the brackets to work with the body lift, but I think that was covered in the Gen2 changes.

• thanks keith. how long have you had it installed, and what size tire is on it? my research is telling me this is the way to go. bang for the buck the or FAB one looks decent...but i dont want the jerry cans and stuff and for the price comparison the bestop one seems to be on top.

• the bestop is a very sweet piece, really clean and i like how it opens with the tailgate :up: :up:

• hi, i'm kinda new to this game but i couldnt help but to visit your topic because i'm looking to improve my tire carrier as well. I've found the best way (best meaning strongest and cheapest) is to weld or have a buddy who knows how to weld a carrier together. what i did was use WARN oversize tire carrier as a template to fabricate a carrier out of 2 inch box steel ( i dont see why you could use tube if you wanted though). I'm in the boat where I needed help with the welding, but between the scrap steel and buying your welding buddy a case of his favorite beverage is much cheeper. But be sure to reinforce the bumper if you are going use it as the base of the carrier because the rocking will start snapping welds if not done right. I find that out the hard way. I opted with this route of an oversized carrier b/c 1- inexpensive 2-can be built stronger and 3- most of those tire carriers on the market "recommend" no larger than a 35" spare..and i'm willing to bet that one day you're gona want to go bigger. it wasn't long before I had to have a 36" spare that is not even full-size....basically that is just a long winded suggestion from a stranger, new to the DEja, so just take it with a grain of salt

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!