speaker recomendation?

• been wanting to upgrade the speakers in my XJ doors for a while... the stock speakers get distorted trying to put out enough sound so I can hear it on the highway. I have a sony head unit, so I can get it louder than I used to, but still lacking badly, especially with bass. I've got the bass on max and the mids/highs on normal to get what I think should be a normal sound.

Any recommendations on a good set of 5.25" round speakers? (or have a good set of 5.25" or even 6.25" laying around for cheap?)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Boston acoustics (what i have), Kicker or Pioneer. What you want to look for in speakers is efficiency, higher the better.

• Boston acoustics are a good mid priced speaker. Plenty of highs and can take some moderate bass. 6 1/2" s should fit depending on the year.

• How 'bout Memphis Audio (5.25")for front and sound bar, and bazooka tube (8") in the back? Works great for me.

• Boston's have served me well. I've had just about every grade speaker in thier line at one time or another.

If you really want to jam (and have the money) go with the Boston Pro Series separates. If you find the bass isn't exactly proportionate you can always throw a single sub or something in the back down the road.

Just make sure your looking at the recommended power to push whatever you buy.

• Jerry, you seriously need marine grade. And not just for wet or damp environments. You need ones that say "fully submersible" like the ones they use to play music underwater at the Olympics for the synchronized swimming.

• Jerry, you seriously need marine grade. And not just for wet or damp environments. You need ones that say "fully submersible" like the ones they use to play music underwater at the Olympics for the synchronized swimming.

you may have a point... :doh:

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• i have a couple used sets of MAs here a new Set of Kole seperates and I think a set of Earthquakes used. all in great shape. if any of these brands tickle your fancy let me know we can discuss price.

• a buddy here at work is selling me two 10" Kicker subs. now I need to find a small box for them. and an amp... I was going to do a bazooka tube, but he convinced me the sound wouldn't be very good at the volume I'd need to run inside my noisy XJ.

looks like I'm going with regular (non-marine) kickers for the front doors. I might still try to find some marine speakers to mount somewhere along the floor so I can still have music if I remove the doors this summer.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Buy a bridgeable sub amp ;D I got a 150 watt amp bridged pushing a 400 watt Orion and it does the job right!

• One of the first things I did when I bought my 98 TJ last November was to upgrade the sound system. I'm happy with the Boston Acoustic speakers I had installed at Sounds of Tristate. The TJ happened to come with a Kicker amp, so the speakers have been handling plenty of power.

FYI, I also purchased a Kenwood head unit with a USB port. I listen to 99 percent of my music through the thumb drives I just plug in...very nice.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• back to the drawing board... looks like my XJ has 6.5" speakers in both the doors and the rear sound bar. guess I need to take back the 5.25" Kicker speakers I got from work.

Jerry / Whatevah

• aww shush. everything I found said XJs should have 5.25" factory speakers. :razz: hehe even Crutchfield, fwiw.

Jerry / Whatevah

• back to the drawing board... looks like my XJ has 6.5" speakers in both the doors and the rear sound bar. guess I need to take back the 5.25" Kicker speakers I got from work.

ha, i guess you dont know everything about jeeps....

wait till you do those gears on 31s...hahahaha

• knowing more than you doesn't mean I know "everything". :razz:

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!