CJ Brake upgrade

• Quote from "deadfeat"

After checking things out, it looks like the MC is really not the place to upgrade. It's the power booster that looks like where the money is. I still need a MC but will go stock. The Firebird and Vette MCs are great with rear disks (Which I dont have) Anyway, I am looking at some booster mods that apparently will let even 35s lock up.

Steve

I still have the stock master cylinder and it seems to work fine. I'm thinking of going bigger though. I'm still feeling out whether or not I need one.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The guys who did that ended up having problems. I'm not sure if the problems were resolved though. You may want to look into it. They did the write up on http://www.bustedcj.com.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yeah, that's the one. I got my forum names messed up.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• This is the site that I read and decided that it was the best choice. The main thing is that the YJ has a more powerfull dual diaphram booster compared to the CJ's single. Just need to find one now.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• UPDATE:
    I picked up the YJ Bracket, booster and MC today and it is nearly installed. The only thing left to do is to get a tubing bender to re-route the brake lines to the other side. (CJ MC fittings are on the right side and YJ are on the left.)

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• Actually Pics are redundant, just visit

http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/yjbrakes.asp

Update, all done, but when bleeding the brakes, the last wheel's bleeder valve broke off. Guess I'm picking up a new rear wheel cylendar tommarrow. :P The write up is great and the install is smooth. Hardest part is rebending the brake tubes to fit int the other side. With the Weber carb there is limited space to clear the air cleaner, but it was managable.

Steve

• See if you can find a riser for your air cleaner. I have one on mine that I got from Pep Boys. It's just a plastic ring but it works fine.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• did you have power brakes before? or are you going from non assist to assist?

i am getting rid of my whole brake set-up in the near future. the mc seems to be either not big enough for all four 4 piston calipers or something is wrong with it. even when it had the stock axles and tires it still wouldnt stop like i thought it should.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!