CJ Brake upgrade

• Anyone know a good brake upgrade for a CJ? My master cylendar is going and I want to make the brakes stonger than stock. Any MC/Booster combo mods ?

Thanks,

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Quote from "deadfeat"

Anyone know a good brake upgrade for a CJ? My master cylendar is going and I want to make the brakes stonger than stock. Any MC/Booster combo mods ?

Thanks,

Steve

Hydroboost is properly the only sure bet. Any other methods will often give mixed results. HTH.

Later,

• I agree with hydra-boost. I've been looking at doing it for awhile, but haven't gotten around to it.

I did a rear disc brake swap using suzuki rotors, and nissan maxima calipers. The swap works, but I'm not sure it's much better.

I needed new rear brakes at the time so I figured I'd upgrade.

• How does hydro boost work, as opposed to the standard power brakes which are vacuum powered? I've been warned against power brakes for off roading.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I used a Pontiac Firebird mastercylinder. I believe it was out of a 1978-1979 model with 4 wheel disc brakes. It bolted right to my booster and is a 1 1/8 bore which is much bigger then a stock jeep. I have a Disc conversion on my rear axle using chevy el camino calipers. The booster i am speaking of is from my 1985 CJ7, however it is hard to say whether the same M/c will bolt right to the booster you have.

FYI- Elliot from Brake Service Center in Newark, De is a great resource when it comes to brakes.

• 1968 Corvette master cylinders are supposed to be a direct replacement for a CJ as well. They came with disc brakes front and rear. Don (Jump150) is using one on his.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "vbquick1"

I used a Pontiac Firebird mastercylinder. I believe it was out of a 1978-1979 model with 4 wheel disc brakes. It bolted right to my booster and is a 1 1/8 bore which is much bigger then a stock jeep. I have a Disc conversion on my rear axle using chevy el camino calipers. The booster i am speaking of is from my 1985 CJ7, however it is hard to say whether the same M/c will bolt right to the booster you have.

FYI- Elliot from Brake Service Center in Newark, De is a great resource when it comes to brakes.

Sorry for the OT...... :doh:

Sean, were you the one stopped by my office (Reads Way) with shinning uniform? :tup: . Sorry if I am mistaken. :suspicious:

Later,
    Linyee

• Hydroboost uses the powersteering pump instead of vaccum. The pressure of the hydraulic fluid is used to create the extra power. Sometimes a higher flow/pressure power steering pump is needed however. It supposidly has a lot more pressure than vaccum boost. Also it works when there is no vaccum (ie a diesel :hmm: )

vbquick:
    What rotors did you use? What year was the el camino, and does it have a spot for an e-brake cable?

I think the Firebird mastercylinder is if your using power brakes, and the corvette mastercylinder is used if you have manual brakes.

• How will the braking holding be in the event of the engine stalling on an incline? Will the natural operation of the brakes be effected?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If the engine stalls the brakes will go back to being non-power.

Some of the hydroboost systems do have accumulator in them which will hold enough pressure and volume to allow one pump of the brakes to be assisted after the engine is off.

• Quote from "Slimer"

How will the braking holding be in the event of the engine stalling on an incline? Will the natural operation of the brakes be effected?

In real life, HB brake lasts longer than the conventional vacumn assist brake when the engine stops.

Later,

• Ugh..my fault, they are eldorado calipers out of late 70 early 80's eldorados, not el caminos. They do have cable activated e-brakes. I cant remember which rotors are on there.

Oh yeah.... and Linyee, that was me that stopped by!!

• I would never put hyrdoboost in a Jeep, its way overkill. It is harder to modulate it, and it is a VERY stiff pedal when the engine is off. I dont know where this notion of more power after the engine stops, its not true, at least in the ford system. When there is no pump turning, there is no boost. At least you have a couple of applications with a vacuum brake before you are completely up the river.

I have hyrdoboost in my truck, and vacuum in my Jeep. alot of smaller diesels use a vacuum pump off of the back of the alternator to power the brakes.

There are some smaller hydroboost systems from GM cars, but it still is alot of complexity.

You can use an E-350 master, but it leaves you with very stiff brakes. Even with power. As long as you dont mind the workout. They are pretty easy to find on pirate under "kung-fu brakes". It works with your rear drums

I believe the vette MC is for four wheel disc. If you go the four wheel disc route, you also need an adjustable proporting valve, a proportioning valve out of a 4 wheel disc vehicle (like a hummer), or a 4 wheel disc MC like the vette and no PV.

There is another option to four wheel discs, which is what i have the parts for at my house : Nissan 300Z rear calipers and sammi front discs. The nissan calipers have a very nice parking brake built right into the caliper, and the sammi discs fit with no machining.

• I basically have the nissan caliper suzuki rotors on mine. I have Nissan maxima calipers, and suzuki sidekick rotors. I removed the proportioning valve and ran the lines directly. I use the 68 vette master cylinder and no power assist. No proportioning valves anywhere.

The pedel definatly gives you a workout. I'm not sure I would do it again. Upon looking at it, the nissan calipers have really small pads, not sure if this is part of the problem or not.

This is why I want to do hydroboost, I think it will allow me to have less pedel pressure to get more stop.

My diesel came with the vacuum pump on the rear of the alternator. However the alternator was 33amps, and was almost impossible to find parts for. I eventually opted to change to a different alternator.

• I am running a stock proportioning valve up front and an adjustable proportioning valve to control the rear discs. The reason I am still running the proportioning valve is that I was told by some pretty experienced folk that if you were to lose a brake line while on a steep grade the proportioning valve will allow you to get enough brake pressure to the opposing axle to buy a little time before you go into total brake failure. Even with all these mods, I am not very impressed with my braking power. I can stop fairly fast, but I can't lock them up. I am not sure what the problem is.

• I'm not real happy with my braking power.

So I'm going to either put on bigger calipers in the rear, or put in some sort of hydroboost.

• I am fairly happy with my stopping power with manual brakes. Even when I was running the 11" drums in the rear it stopped well when they were adjusted right. I'm not running as heavy a tire as some guys are either and that could make a big difference. I'm guessing that 35" tires are probably the bottom of the range at which the stock brake system should be upgraded due to the rolling mass.

The Jeep rear discs I just put in are starting to settle. Once I got the leak fixed I had to pump them up at first but I was told by a few sources that it had something to do with rubber boot in the brake piston pulling the piston back too far until the rubber loosens up a bit.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• After checking things out, it looks like the MC is really not the place to upgrade. It's the power booster that looks like where the money is. I still need a MC but will go stock. The Firebird and Vette MCs are great with rear disks (Which I dont have) Anyway, I am looking at some booster mods that apparently will let even 35s lock up.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Quote from "DieselCj"

What did you put on the rear for disc brakes? I'm

I was making the rear a full floater and because of the way I did it the Jeep discs were a direct bolt on.

Plus I hate drums. Once you have them adjusted right they're fine. If you get them close they will adjust themselves. But getting the drums off, messing with the springs, tapping the shoes into the correct position to get the drums back on.....is all a pain. I've also heard discs have better holding power on a hill, although that is probably a matter of opinion.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!