YJ Frame rusted through

• Well looks like a frame swap or frame repair is in order. The frame rusted through where the left rear shackle mounts to the frame. Now the question is should I repair the frame or just replace it?

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• If you have a stick welder and are good at welding I see no reason not to just fix it. Just cut out the rust and fill it in with a piece of plate and add some fish(sp?) plates for piece of mind.

• i had the same exact problem on both sides of the frame. i had the pieces made and welded the pieces on with a friend. i should have just done the pieces myself but i'm not a good enough welder to make the curve .

• Looks like mine rusted in the same place. I called around today and Found a frame for $400 but i'm afraid the same thing will happen again also kicking around the idea of using a TJ frame and suspension or just fixing what I have.

Neill

• I think i'm going to go with this as a repair for my frame.http://www.autorust.com/k_42.html

Neill

• you can problaly have those made cheaper localy. i cut the end of my frame off and took it to the welding place on 13 just before the Camden walmart on the south bound end and they built it for me for $175 both sides already welded to the cross member. all i had to do was weld it in place and role. the first picture above shows where i cut the frame. i took that whole section to them

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!