S.O.S. -- Need CB Radio Help

• I have a mystery problem with my CB radio antenna and would love to have some troubleshooting help from someone who really knows this subject. As a few of you already know, I recently got a used CB radio and non-tuneable antenna, and I hooked it up a couple of weeks ago in time for the GWNF camping trip. The SWR meter told me it wasn't a great signal, but it was sufficient, and it worked ok during that trip.

Looking to upgrade, last week I bought a tuneable Firestik antenna. Rather than get a better SWR reading, it went off the scale. I replaced the coax connector today, and it's still off the scale. Plus, now my old antenna also causes the SWR meter to jump off the scale. So, I'm now effectively out of action with my CB.

John Wallner helped me troubleshoot the system today, but we obviously didn't get it fixed. Rather than post up some CB advise for me, what I'm really looking for is someone to stop by (in Magnolia) and give me some hands on help (in return for beer, of course). So, any CB wizards looking for a challenge?! The beer is waiting. ::)

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• sounds like you have it grounded out . what does it do with the antenna off ? ,if your meter drops and then it jumps off the meter, definatly a ground ,bad wire connection or something there ck it out .LMK how you make out

• A lot of CB antenna problems are related to improper mounting.

Can you post a close up shot of the mounting and how the cable connects to the antenna.

I'll do my best to take some pics, but I don't they will be close up enough for you to see the detail you need. Jim

• I agree with Keith. Your vehicle acts as a projection plane. Depending on where and how it's mounted could greatly effect it's performance. Grounding is usually the issue with crazy SWR readings.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

1) How low did it tune before it went crazy?
    2) What type of Radio is it?
    3) Where is your Antenna mounted on the Jeep?
    4) How is it wired up for power/Ground?
    5) Does it have a in line noise suppression filter on it?
    6) Are the ends crimped or soldered?

Also, try your radio on someone else's set up that works, just to eliminate the possibility of the radio.

There is nothing that can't be fixed if you throw enough money at it,

• 1. About 3 weeks
    2. Uniden brand
    3. Rear of Jeep centered on the door, using a custom made bracket which is grounded to the door.
    4. No (I don't think so)
    5. The coax came with 2 factory connectors. I cut one off in order to route the cable, then installed a connector that required soldering. That worked ok. I destroyed that connector yesterday and so had to buy a new one. So, I switched to a twist-on style, which actually seems to fit into the mount better.

You mentioned testing the CB radio somewhere else to make sure that's not the problem, but keep in mind just a week ago the sucker worked fine with my old antenna. It's only when I tried to use my new Firestik that I encountered problems -- and those problems now affect the former antenna as well, so I've got nothing.

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• 5) I think a Noise suppression filter is either built into the CB or a external filter that is wired ito it. Don't think it has anything to do with the antenna. I could be wrong thou.

• What I mean by testing the radio on another rig is ...

Lets say it's working fine, then all of a sudden it's all out of whack. You assume it's the antenna and change the antenna and it's still out of whack. By testing the radio on another setup you have eliminated the radio as part of the problem. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with your radio including your SWR meter, filters, ect. ect. If the radio worked while using the firestick and then it went whacked you still have to eliminate the radio as your problem.

If that doesn't work then try swapping the antenna with another set up as well to eliminate it. The good news is that if both are good then there is not much else it could be.

Your power source, Your ground, Your connections, and your cable.

One by one start to go over them and check for pinched wires, loose connections, grounding ect.

• What I mean by testing the radio on another rig is ...

Lets say it's working fine, then all of a sudden it's all out of whack. You assume it's the antenna and change the antenna and it's still out of whack. By testing the radio on another setup you have eliminated the radio as part of the problem.

Good point. Tomorrow I'll try to do just that...but I'll need a fellow Jeeper to help out, of course.

FYI, in case it matters, I'm off all day tomorrow so I'm available if anyone in the Dover area would like to take a look with me at this problem.

• A lot of CB antenna problems are related to improper mounting.

Can you post a close up shot of the mounting and how the cable connects to the antenna.

I don't know how to post a hotlink to another forum thread, but I was able to copy and paste this:

Delaware Jeep Association > DeJA Forums > Modifications > CB System

At the above forum thread you'll see a couple of pictures of my CB and antenna mount. Jim

• Mount job looks good.

I don't have a set up for you to swap out and test your stuff on. I'm also off tomorrow but will be working on my boat at home. If you want to stop by, I'll put another pair of eyes on it for you. I'm in Bear Delaware by Lums Pond State Park. 19701

Here are the pictures you wanted to post...

John

• Well, here a quick update...

Quadna came by and the two of us eliminated every possibility -- except the Firestick antenna I just bought. I was able to put back the old non-adjustable antenna, and my SWR reading is 1.70. I'm going to have Quadna try out the Firestik on his system and see what the results are. Unless we can figure out what might be wrong with the Firestik, it looks like I'll live with the no-name antenna since the reading isn't too shabby.

• Is the Firestik marked NGP ?

No, he got the antenna from me working fine when I took it off my Jeep. Not sure why it's not working for him. This is what he has.

http://www.walcottcb.com/fires…901.html?cPath=28_352_412
    http://www.walcottcb.com/fires…585.html?cPath=28_354_445

I also had this on my setup, that he does not. Not sure if it makes a difference for him.
    http://www.walcottcb.com/fires…8-p-199.html?cPath=28_355
    http://www.walcottcb.com/cbml-…033.html?cPath=28_353_428

• By swapping out the antenna, you found the problem. I always used to run a Wilson 500 on my set up. I don't know what is popular now-of-days. I always used the Wilson's and had good luck. I know the Police Departments use the Firesticks. Anyway. I'm glad you found the problem. At least your old antenna gives you a SWR of 1.7-to-1, not too bad. For a 3-5 mile open range and a little shorter depending on the obstacles, isn't bad at all for what you want. Maybe in the future a antenna upgrade will be in hand if you cant get the firestick tuned to your rig. Remember, you mounted the antenna on the back of your rig so your jeep acts as a ground plane and will project primarily forward. You will reach your furthest transmission / reception in front of you. At the distances that you will be traveling at in a pack, it won't really make a difference. As long as you stay 2-3 miles in reach of each other. On most trails you stay in sight of each other and that's why it won't really make a difference.

John

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!