any carb pros???

• i put a weber 32/36 on my 4.2 awhile back. have never really been able to tune it just right. i think the idle mix is off because its fine on start up, and running around. but if it sits idle for a few minutes, it will start to smoke a little. make any sense? smoke gets kinda bad sometimes. ALSO how do i "lean" it back for inspection. i have heard some of the old motor heads talk about it.....

• When I 1st installed mine, I had issues which turned out to be the vacuum advance to the distributor was not connected to a proper "ported" vacuum source, This basically sent too much vacuum to the distributor making it run much too advanced under any load. The correct port is at the base of the carb , (mine faces the firewall)

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I had an 89 YJ that I put a webber on and in order to get it through inspection I had to first set the timing to zero and also lean the mixture by turning the mixture screw in. the motor would idle but would not run above about 1100 rpm and it had no power. I would basically do it the parking lot of DMV and then reverse the process right after. I did not have the issue that you describe with the idle but I think that Deadfeat is right about the cause. some guys on here are probably way more experienced with these carbs but thats what had to do. good luck

• do you have a fuel pressure regulator on it?? when i had one on my 87 i had to do some fine tuning..and adjust the fuel pressure and it ran great...then i sold it LOL

• sounds like you have vacuum leak it ill run great running but hey you sit ideling you get the smoke , you have a hose off somewher? how is your gasket , take som ether and spray it at base of carb if it revs up it is leaking , do not spray it near intake or is il defeat the purpses just around the base and if you do not want to use ether use choke cleaner same effect .hope this helps

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!