YJ 6cyl Engine Question

• Getting close to turning over the engine in my '87 YJ rebuild. For the most part my entire vacuum and emissions system was shot and I've removed it. Running a used Weber carb with only vacuum connections to brakes, evap, and distributor advance.

Since I've rid myself of the pesky Carter carb, can I lose the original computer? And what sensors can I disconnect?

Trying to clean out the engine compartment and simplify things.

Thanks.
    Mike

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• If I remember orrectly if you do the Nutter Bypass you can pull the computer. It allows the Motorcraft ignition to operate. You might want to search for it there is a ton of info on this.

Aaron

• Riddle me this, Batman.

If the Carter BBL and the emissions and most of the vac system is gone, what is left to bypass via the Nutter process?

Mike

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• The nutter bypass would have to already have been done to get the weber to work with your ignition system. You still need the computer to run the ignition.
    Your alternative IIRC would be to install a GM HEI distributor, then you could remove your computer and associated wiring.

• Thanks, Gents.

I'll do the Nutter Bypass and meanwhile will investigate upgrading to the GM HEI.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!