Some TJ questions

• 1) how tight should my front track bar be? the death wobble wont go away. The track bar bushing was just replaced, and i lathed a sleeve so the bolt will actually fit. i realigned the front. it seems to go away temporarily after i tighten the track bar, but it will come back. kinda puzzled.

2) Every time i shift momentum, i hear a pop. its annoying and im lost on this one. It feels like its coming from under the drivers side floor. :?

3) How can i tell if my ball joints are bad? I think the passenger side is shot, but i dont know for sure.

4) The clip holding the pivot side of the throw out bearing fell off, how important is that clip?
    help is much needed

• 1. Very very tight. Did the mount on the axle oval out? That's a common problem. How is the TRE on the axle end? That can fail, too. One trick I've used, is have somebody else start the motor and rock the steering wheel left and right. If the trackbar shifts in relationship to the axle or frame, there's an issue.

2. Check all suspension bushings and bolts... control arms, shocks, TRE, etc. Also check the trans mount, that's basically just a huge bushing.

3. No idea, never driven a manual before. ;D

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• 1. Very very tight. Did the mount on the axle oval out? That's a common problem. How is the TRE on the axle end? That can fail, too. One trick I've used, is have somebody else start the motor and rock the steering wheel left and right. If the trackbar shifts in relationship to the axle or frame, there's an issue.

2. Check all suspension bushings and bolts... control arms, shocks, TRE, etc. Also check the trans mount, that's basically just a huge bushing.

3. No idea, never driven a manual before. ;D

no it didnt oval out. i bought an adjustable track bar, ordered a new bushing and made a sleeve, but i guess i didnt tighten it enough...time for the breaker bar.

the one "TRE" spins when i try and loosen the castle nut. does that mean its bad?

• No that doesnt mean its bad although it cant hurt to replace it..you might just have to get a pry bar behind it while you loosen the nut...Impact tools do wonders for that situation.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• i can get the nut off. it isnt the TRE, its the drag link on the passenger side that spins, thats why i have been reluctant to replace it. i also can not get the TRE out of the pit arm drop. that bugger will not budge! and the space is too tight to get a puller on top of it...but ill tighten the track bar and see if that solves it.

but how can i tell if my ball joints are shot?

• Jack one side of the jeep up just enough to get a pry bar under the tire , then take your pry bar and lift up on the tire whit one hand and hold the ball joint in the other if the ball joint moves up and down it is bad .

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• Jack one side of the jeep up just enough to get a pry bar under the tire , then take your pry bar and lift up on the tire whit one hand and hold the ball joint in the other if the ball joint moves up and down it is bad .

hmm that makes sense.
    thank you

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!