The Engine Problem

• As some of you know, Slimer's been having problems with exhaust smoke puffing like a choo, choo from the vavle cover. A compression check revealed that cylinder 4 only had 40 psi compression while the other 5 cylinders were between 140 psi, and 150 psi. Removing the head revealed this:

If you look closely (see the link below) you can see part of the piston is gone, revealing the top ring. After yanking the piston I can feel a bit of a "wallow" carved out in the cylinder wall. Why this happened so soon after a rebuild is beyond me. I'm not sure if it something I did wrong during assembly or maybe I bought a bad piston.

My neighbor, who is an old mechanic, feels that I should be able to hone it and slap a new piston in. At this point I am still skeptical but I am willing to give it a try.

http://deja.27chickens.com/gal…/500/38DSCF0026-thumb.JPG

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• depends on how deep the gouge in the cylinder wall is, if it's very light, then just hone it out, and put in a new piston.

Not sure why it did it though, You didn't get water into it or anything did you? It kinda looks like my other engine after I sucked water into it. Only on that engine it was in 3 out of 4 cylinders.

http://deja.27chickens.com/gallery/data/500/38DSCF0026.JPG
    that'll give you a closer look

• That's the wierd thing. It only happened to 1 of 6 cylinders. I didn't go through any water. I haven't been off road since December 29th.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!