Broke something? Need Help!

• ok so tonight i took the jeep out for a ride. as i was taking off from a stop, i shift into first gear and started, shifted to second, and everything was fine, shifted to 3rd gear, let the clutch out apply the gas and all that happens is the motor revs up.... pull over... try to start in first and nothing, try second, and nothing. so now at this point i'm thinking that i blew the clutch. i try to put into gear without using clutch and goes right in to all of them. put the jeep in 4wd try 1st gear again with no clutch and wont go in. use clutch and the jeep starts to move..... drive like this to gas station 2 miles away so i would have some light... after looking over the jeep, i notice that the passanger rear wheel is walking out...also no noise while driving... (i'm guessing broken shaft). Also notice fluid leaking from axle tube. tow jeep home on trailer. as i'm backing off the trailer, the other rear tire starts walking out. Also, at this point, i'm hearing a bad noise coming from the rear.

am i correct by saying that i broke a shaft?

would a broken shaft cause both wheels to walk out?

any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Jason

• Jason, Is it a YJ? If so you broke the infamous Dana 35 c clip axle shaft. You will need a new axle shaft for that side.

• Both rear tires started walking out? You really need to pull the diff cover and see what's going on. The cross bolt and spider gears should have kept the other shaft from coming out if you broke the passenger side. Breaking a shaft on the street without a locker or doing a neutral drop is near impossible, especially without hearing a loud bang or feeling it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I cant imagine how you could break both Clips, unless both axles were already cracked from earlier off roading, then when the first broke then the extra stress on the remaining axle caused it to break. Do you have a locker?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• mostly likely broke the spiders in the woods some time and they held on till now. Spiders normaly pop with a bang or crack and fall off suddenly someday. Normal when they fall off they get caulght in the ring gear and take a tooth or two. Best thing to do is pull the carrier (carryers break alot also) out brake clean everything clean and see what is still good. Mike

• ok after the snow stopped i was able to pull the cover to do a quick visible inspection considering it was 18 degrees out. the spiders are still in place however the cross pin the goes through the spiders broke in half..... will have to pull the carrier to see if it screwed on the gears or spiders when it broke. hopefully it didnt. also blew a brake cylinder on the passanger side since the drum came apart....

• ok after the snow stopped i was able to pull the cover to do a quick visible inspection considering it was 18 degrees out. the spiders are still in place however the cross pin the goes through the spiders broke in half..... will have to pull the carrier to see if it screwed on the gears or spiders when it broke. hopefully it didnt. also blew a brake cylinder on the passanger side since the drum came apart....

The c-clips must be wandering around in there too.

They would have had to fallen out to allow the shafts to walk out.

• honestly i think its time for a dana 44 be done with the axle all together.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• i havent had the time or ambition to tear it fully apart yet. I should be doing something this weekend with it. I still have to check the shafts and splines to make sure there was no damage.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!