"Trail Leaders In Training"

• DeJA's membership has increased incredibly over the last year, with a corresponding increase in participation in our trail rides. I would like like to start a process to train more individuals to lead our trail rides. I am grateful to JoeLove, JeepSahara, and Orange Crush for volunteering to lead rides, but would like to get more members involved.

I'd like to start a "Trail Leaders in Training" program, so that as your jeeps grow and become more capable the drivers also become more capable and assume more responsibility for passing knowledge onto our newer members. Trail Leaders will need to concentrate on learning trail navigation (primarily at Paragon), time management, spotting, and general leadership, in addition to driving your jeep. (At Paragon also you will need to have completed their mini-training session.) This is a big step up but I think a few of you are ready for it.

The best way to learn is by doing. So, starting with the May 8 trail ride, I'd like one or two individuals to lead the stock group. You will get maps, and will plan a route, and lead the group. I will be along in a right seat as a resource if you need me.

This is a great way to expand your knowledge, as well as give something back to the club, and I hope you can get as enthusiastic about it as I am.

Group Hug

If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a PM or call me.

Former Trail Boss (2003 - 2005)

Edited once, last by ().

• i am willing to learn the trails and help out if you would like. i want to run both mod and stock on the 8th but would be willing to lead the stockers half of the day, perhaps in the morning if you could find somone to take them for the afternoon. let me know if you want my help i dont have a shotgun seat open, all i have is the back seat. PM me.

• I want to learn but won't be making the May 8th trail ride. At this point, I'm not sure when I'll make another. Probably after June.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Great. dmaster (1/2 day) and Urbancrawler22 will be leading the stocker group on Saturday. Check out the color maps on Paragon's web site and look for green and blue trails you might like to try...

• cool so what if everyone in the stockers wants to run a harder trail should i step in and say no youll get stuck every 10 ft or should i let them figure it out on there own??

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Quote from "Urbancrawler22"

cool so what if everyone in the stockers wants to run a harder trail should i step in and say no youll get stuck every 10 ft or should i let them figure it out on there own??

Just get your tow strap ready! I try to get everyone stuck at least once a day... haven't come close to succeeding yet, but I'm still trying.

• He usually picks me to get stuck first.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I would be more than glad to help. We do Paragon almost weekly these days and we can help when needed.

• I'm still interested in this Andrew. Any plans for future training sessions? Or, do you have any information on Paragon's "mini-training"? I didn't see anything on their site.

Paul

• [size=18px]Update as of September 3[/size]

I would like to revive the Trail Gide in Training program, now that all our summer stuff is over. I'm looking for a few folks that the club can count on to attend rides and lead groups ranging from newbies and stockers (greeen trails) to modifieds (blue trails). More modified (black trails) would be good too, but would not be expected for a new leader.

The requirements would be:
    [list]
    navigate successfully around Paragon and/or Rausch Creek
    reach meeting spots at/around expected times
    spotting less experienced drivers through difficult obstacles
    keep the group together (don't lose anyone!)
    determine appropriate trail levels for group members
    [/list:u]

You would NOT be expected to be the mechanic for the group (although it wouldn't hurt if you were) -- all drivers are ultimately responsible for their own vehicles -- although you should have a means of communication to the park HQ or club leader in case of a serious breakdown.

There is no formal training (exept for the mandatory group leader training at Paragon), just practical experience under a more experienced guide. If you are interested, the best thing to do to start would be to have a park trail map and try to follow along where the group is going, so you can familiarize yourself with the park's trail system. Concentrate on landmarks, trails, and turns rather than the jeep ahead of you.

Anyone should be able to be a club trail leader, but you'd have to acept more responsibility than just wheeling around with your couple of buddies, since we will be guiding new and inexperienced members and guests under our club's responsibility.

If you have any questions, please PM me or catch me at a monthly meeting.

Andrew (BlueJ)

• Also, if there are maybe two or three of you who are interested, we can do a Paragon ride separate from the club rides to just wander around, get familiar with the turns and landmarks, explore unfamiliar trails, try new places, without the stress of having 15 jeeps following behind us.

Just a thought...

• I'm interested, if I can make enough trail rides that is. I think the seperate trip to familiarize us with the parks is a great idea. That would be my only hesitation is that I feel I don't know my way around the parks well enough. I could probably use some experience spotting as well.

• Based on the apparent success of the stocker GWNF ride, I'd like to be a stocker guide. I like being with people on their first off-road experience, and it seems like more might go if it weren't so "scary" We've done greens and blues in our KJ, so sticking with the newbies on the greens is easy. I also figured no one else would volunteer for this group time after time, so sign me up.

Yes, it would be good to go in a smaller group to get familiar with the trails, great idea. Could we do Paragon's class on the same trip?

DrJ

• Andrew-

I'm interested...let me know if you put anything together as far as a training run at Paragon. I've been trying to track our routes recently if only for my own benefit.

--Ian

• I like the idea of having a seperate guide run also, with just a few people. Just throwing some dates out there but I was looking to go up Saturday the 25 to paragon with a couple people and could help out with spotting and leading skills if anyone is interested......

-Chris

• I probably wouldn't go the 25th because I'll be there the 26th. You are welcome to go without me.

But Sat the 18th would work for me, I'd just have to get up early on Sunday morning to clean the jeep before the Kahunaville party.

DrJ, Paul, Ian, what works for you guys? (It can be a few rides, not just one... especially because DrJ would be looking for different trail levels from Ian.)

• If you guys want to go to Rausch Creek or Paragon on Sundays let me know as we go every week. I cannot go on any Saturday until next March.. :updown:

• Quote from "BlueJ"

I'd just have to get up early on Sunday morning to clean the jeep before the Kahunaville party.

Clean...hell, mine looks _better_ with a coat of grime to cover the dents! :spinrhead:

DrJ, Paul, Ian, what works for you guys? (It can be a few rides, not just one... especially because DrJ would be looking for different trail levels from Ian.)

I'm open on weekends anymore, my schedule's settled down alot with the new job.

--Ian

• Any potential trail leaders interested in a training ride at Paragon? Maybe the Sunday after Thanksgiving, or during the December open ride (Paragon probably will let us go on our own).

Let me know...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!