Plasma cutter

• Can you use a hole saw on a drill press and drill 2 holes for each oval, then connect them using a cut-off wheel on a grinder?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I could, but I don't have a hole saw that will go through metal that thick, don't feel like pulling the bumper, and a plasma cutter would finish the job in less than 5 minutes. Anyone?
    Chris

By the way Steve, your idea is exactly how I cut the first set of holes in my tub for the lights. Much thinner metal though...

• Backup lights in your bumper? Paul did a set in his with the holesaw method and I did the ones in my crusher corners that way too. I can do it if you want to swing up this direction but freehanding an oval will be interesting :innocent:

--Ian

• How did the drill handle metal that thick? I have a pretty good size electric drill, but just not sure if my hole saw will last through 4 holes. It is a Dewalt hole saw (so won't melt instantly like Harbor Freight) but the thickness of the bumper seems like it may be too much for it. If nobody posts up with a plasma, I may give it a shot with the saw tomorrow.

• 3/16 isnt that bad. with a decent blade a jig saw will more then likely do the trick. ive used them on 1/8 before and they cut like a warm knife and butter. all u have to do is drill 1 hole on each piece to get the blade in to start the cut

• 3/16 isnt that bad. with a decent blade a jig saw will more then likely do the trick. ive used them on 1/8 before and they cut like a warm knife and butter. all u have to do is drill 1 hole on each piece to get the blade in to start the cut

When I built those bumpers for Chris, I used a jigsaw to cut the holes for the receiver and shackle mounts.

Trust me, it's far from warm butter. And use bi-metal blades.

• I've got the plasma in Dover, but really I think the drill press will be a much better route. I would hole saw 3/16 all day long. I know it is a pain to pull the bumper off, but it would be a much cleaner and more exact cut.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!