front axle and UCAs

• i had a computer alignment done recently, and the report told me that my caster was off. since my lowers are fixed, the caster can be remedied by shortening my adjustable uppers a little (about .5"). so my plan was to shorten the UCAs while i had them out for a heim rebuild.

the problem is: when i removed the UCAs, the top of the axle axle rolled forward by a very slight amount. between that and the now-shorter UCAs, i cannot reinstall the UCAs. i bolted them up to the body end, and they won't reach the axle mounts. i tried using a ratchet strap to pull the upper axle mounts back, but to no avail.

any advice, tips, or tricks?

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Any way to place a board from frame rail to frame rail directly over the tail of the axle's center housing? Can't remember exactly where the oil pan is over it....so not sure if you can. But, if you can, place something across there to use as a leverage point and then place your bottle jack between the tail of the axle housing and the board - pump it a few times and maybe push the tail down. That would shorten the upper span.

Or maybe put your bottle jack under the right knuckle's draglink mount, your floor jack under the left knuckle's tie rod mount, and pump them both up slowly? not as much leverage that way...but it may be enough to rotate the axle back.

Or just disconnect the lowers, rotate the axle much easier since the bind would be gone, and then just use the jack under the axle's tail housing to rotate it forward for reconnecting the lowers.

:shrug:

Lastly, any chance your front driveshaft is fully compressed and after shortening the uppers you're just now trying to push the driveshaft back into the transfer case?

• You can jack it back into place. Did this with my axles when I swapped them out. The easiest way to get them positioned correctly was to jack them into place. My driveshafts weren't in, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Chris is right though. You might have to disconnect your lowers to get it under there correctly.

Also, I was told when you adjust your control arms to do one at a time so that the axle doesn't move.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Also, I was told when you adjust your control arms to do one at a time so that the axle doesn't move.

i tried doing one at a time, and when i couldn't rotate the axle back, i thought it was probably because the other UCA was preventing it. so i took the other one off, but still couldn't rotate it back.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Weird. Maybe try disconnecting the driveshaft? Or removing the axle end of the lowers. :shrug:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Or removing the axle end of the lowers. :shrug:

yeah, i thought about trying that. but i fear that then i'd be stuck with a similar problem reattaching the lowers. :doh:

~ JD

• Just use a jack. I had a helper, so that made it easier. If you can get another set of hands that would probably make a big difference. Disconnect the driveshaft if need be and the lowers and put the axle back where it belongs. I believe we used the tie rod mostly to jack from. Also used the pumpkin when needed. Everything was connected and even the tires were on when I finally put my uppers arms in. Only thing that wasn't connected was the front driveshaft and the sway bar.

The axle should have rotated forward making the distance between the mounts longer. So just rotate it back. Post back if you figure it all out. I'm interested to know what the problem is.

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• If your lowers don't have a spherical joint at the axle end loosen the bolt, but don't take it out. If you have a rubber joint there loosing the bolt may help a little because you would no longer be fighting the bushing in the lower control arm. It isn't going to make it a lot easier, but it may help some.

• thank you everyone for your input. i decided to first try this idea from a response to my NAXJA thread where i posed the same question:

Quote from Peregrine;244941432

Couldn't you just put a jack (preferely a bottle jack since area is tight) under the front end of the coil bucket? By lifting this area, it should tilt the UCA mount enough to get back to where you need it. Of course this will only work if your LCA are already attached and if the axle only rotated forward. (not actually was pushed forward)

it worked easily and perfectly. everything is reassembled and tightened down.

now for the road test. i'll report back soon...

~ JD

• Glad to hear you got it all back together. :spinrhead: :wavey:

• now for the road test. i'll report back soon...

still experiencing DW. FML i was really hoping that it was the UCA heim bushings. oh well, back to the proverbial drawing board....

~ JD

• TREs all good?

• TREs all good?

yeah, all replaced recently. everything else seems tight, but i guess that next i'll remove the LCAs and trackbar to inspect the bushings there.

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!