Need a inexpensive option to paint my fiberglass CJ7

• I have an 86 CJ7 thats fiberglass that needs to be painted along with some minor fiberglass repair. I have been quoted prices to paint my jeep but they just seem so high. I dont need anything special, just a decent black paint job. I dont want to go to Maaco. I want it to look nice, but it doesnt need to be showroom quality. Is there anyone you can recommend? Are there less expensive options than local body shops? Do any members of DEJA paint on the side? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I live in Wilmington.

Thanks,
    Chris

• we did my old cj with a compressor/paint gun and some regular paint dident cost too much. but does require a clean garage and a 1-2 day time to complete

only place ive seen atleast in dover is maco.what area you in i can google it.

• Get some marine paint, and do it yourself.

Marine paint will level itself out if you use a brush, and / or if you roll it. It won't be totally smooth like auto paint, but it will not show any brush marks, or lines.

Marine paint isn't cheap, but it works very well on fiberglass.

I painted the whole top side of an old boat of mine with a brush, with some marine paint, and thought for sure that it would show the brush marks, but it levels itself out as it dries.

Just prep the surface before you paint, and don't do it too late in the day, if you are doing it outside, or the finish won't come out right, due to a damp night, if its summer time.

Don't paint in high humid conditions either, or the paint will take forever to dry, and the darkness / dampness will screw it up, unless you have a climate controlled place to do it.

• Done a couple things w/ duplicolor paint shop and a harbor freight hvlp gun...not show quality but on par with most maaco jobs I've seen. As long as you've got clean, dry air and your preps half decent it turns out pretty nice. Coverage isn't as good as some urethanes but there's no recoat window making touchups easy and it's relatively cheap. :up:

--Ian

• hi there,

call chal chadwell. he works at winner ford auto body/three years and does side jobs at a really good price. 302 698 7340

hes gonna do my 84 cj7 (chevy 350) if i can ever get her thru inspection. :bang:

cant wait to see it when done. luv the old cjs.

• Thanks for the suggestions. His name is Chal? Not Chad? Do you know where he completes his side jobs? Do he give you a rough idea on what it would cost to paint your CJ?

• If you do it yourself tractor paint works well and if you scratch touch up is easy looks like it never happened!

• Call Glenn McGinley, 610-324-9386. He's in Chester,Pa. Does all our company vehicles. Really good work. Tell him CD told you to call.

• cj: he said roughly $1000.

could be less, depending. all side jobs are ok'd thru the shop so theyre done at winner ford. he also gives a lifetime guarantee. (i told him i wanted something that can be easily fixed if i scratch her, but tree scrapes are not included in the warranty. ;) )

his friend borrowed his jeep and totalled it, now someone stole his motorcycle. hes come upon a run of bad luck. hes trying to make a little extra money. i let him drive my jeep the other day, ya know, to make him feel better.

• Got my interest. I want something good since I like to do both, "Show and Go".
    Thanks for the info.

• Yes he said roughly a grand. Have to look at amount of body work needed. The paint usually includes a couple golf ball sized dents for free; anything after that is extra. Best bet is to let him see the vehicle to get a firm price. His name is Charles, the call him: chal. Phone number 302-747-6777. (updated phone number)

• hi guys this is CHAL... its slow in my shop right now at work its like this every year in the summer. my number is above if you have any questions let me know id be sure to answer them. i have many chip books and there are many colors to pick from. if you need partial paint jobs i can match any color. i have access to many tools and this being a dealership this isnt a back yard paint job its durable and comes out like a sheet of glass. i would hav to see the car but 1000 is the price since were slow and i need to make extra money the only thing i ask is that the top be takin off before i get the vehicle. let me know soon that way i can make a spot in the schedual. as she said my jeep got totaled and my 07 yamaha got stolen in the last month ive lost over 15k in assets it would be a great help so let you help me thankss!!!!

• CHAL,
    Let me figure out when I can get down there so you can look over the Scrambler, we can determine time frame, and I can figure the financing. I'll give you a call...during the day or evening at the post number?

Thanks
    Glen

ps - I'm a "show and go" vehicle.

• well since i posted that i have made the x girlfriend mad and she has turned off my phone so im hoping to get a new one in a day or two.. just get back to me on here and ill check it a little more than usual.. if you would like you can call winner body shop and ask for me at 3027340445 again the name is chal. and that all sounds good let me know. and i usually do 3/4 of the payment up front and then you gve me the rest once your satisfied with the job

• CANT WAIT TO GET MINE DONE.

ANY OTHER TURQUOISE CJS OUT THERE? I KNOW, CHALS BEEN TRYIN TO TALK ME OUT IF IT. (FEMALE :roll: )

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!